Need advice selecting tactical light for 87 Magpul Tactical

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.

Need advice selecting tactical light for 87 Magpul Tactical

Post by 1972 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:42 pm

Good Day Gentlemen,

As my post count will indicate, I’m brand new to this forum. I don’t know why I never found the site before because I’ve always had Remington shotguns of various types and configurations, and I do belong to other firearm forums, but it was only recently when I acquired a new 870 and found out I needed some specific advice that I started looking on the internet and found this forum. It’s a great site, and just browsing I’ve already answered a lot of my questions about this new gun – and learned a few things about other 870’s I own. But I’d still like to ask for some advice and suggestions with regards to a couple of accessories for the new one.

The gun I’ve just purchased is the Remington 870 Magpul Tactical. As I’m sure most of you know, it comes “stock” with the 18 ½” barrel with extended tactical choke tube/breecher, cerakote coating, one piece extended mag tube, adjustable XS Ghost Ring sights, SGA Magpul stock with spacer/LOP adjustment, Super Cel recoil pad, and the MOE / M-LOK slots/mounting system on the forestock. I really like the gun. It’s already got a lot of the features I wanted on it, and I got a really good price on it.

I don’t have it in my hands yet as they had to bring it in, so I’m spending the time until it gets here trying to figure out exactly what accessories I want to put on it.

My biggest concern, and what I’m hoping some of you gentlemen might be able to offer some advice on, is what would be the best “tactical” light to put on it. There are a lot of light options out there, and of course they all present themselves as being “the best”, so I’m looking for advice based on experience to tell me which lights - and which mounting systems for those lights - really are the best.

As far as the light goes it seems as if the only way to go is LED, and the brighter the better. Especially in my application which would be primarily outdoors. I live in the North, so one of my prime concerns is dealing with bears and similar critters on the property at night. So basically the brighter the better. I’d like to get something in the 400 to 500 lumen range if possible. More if I can. Strobe function is also something that might be useful. I can’t say that cost is not an issue at all, but I’m more concerned with brightness, quality, and dependability than I am the cost. I want to do this right, so I assume I’m going to be looking at something at least in the $300 to $400 range for cost. You generally get what you pay for, and I’d rather put out the money one time and get something that will really do the job.

As far as mounts go, the Remington 870 Magpul Tactical comes with the forend rigged for M-LOK attachments. If I understand what I’ve read correctly, Magpul offers an offset M-LOK bracket with a Picatinny rail on the offset that attaches to the M-LOK forend via one of the M-LOK slots. As most lights are designed to attach to a Picatinny rail, you then simply mount to the end of the bracket. I just don’t know how solid this would be. Has anybody any experience with this? I know Surefire offers a replacement forend with a built in LED light, but it seems a waste to go that route if the Magpul M-LOK forend works just as well.

I suspect a number of you have already been down this road and figured out what works best, so if you don’t mind sharing your experience – my first question would be what are your thoughts and recommendations on the best tactical light and mount to get for this shotgun?

My second question, also to do with lights, is what is the best set up for controlling the light? Some of the lights appear to have control switches on the back of them. How easy is that to use? I see Magpul offers an M-LOK switch bracket as well, so I assume in some applications you can mount a switch on the M-LOK forend to control the light. Anybody got any experience or advice on that?

One last thing, I’d like to put a laser sight on the gun as well. I see some of the Streamlights come with lasers. For example, the Streamlight TLR-2 HL LED Rail Mounted Tactical Flashlight and Laser. I just don’t know how well they would work. Some people say the laser works fine that way, others say the laser should be mounted to something that does not move – like the mag tube. I can see that being a concern on a pistol or rifle where you are looking for maximum accuracy, but for shotgun application it might not be so critical. Anybody got any experience or advice on this?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. It is very much appreciated.

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Need advice selecting tactical light for 87 Magpul Tacti

Post by Chief Brody » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:06 am

Welcome!

I have a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted on my 870 Police Mag using their magazine tube mount. Rock-solid mount, very happy with it (my gun has walnut furniture, no M-Lok for me). Sounds like the TLR-1 is a few steps below what you're looking for, but at least I can vouch for the light's durability and ease of operation.

Good luck with your search, safe shooting.
Steve
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

bbull311
Shotgunner

Post by bbull311 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Try the Streamlight TLR-1hl. It doesn't have a laser (not a big fan) but it does have the lumens plus some that you are looking for. It also has the strobe function (again no a big fan). It also has a long gun kit that you can buy with it.
"I have learned that there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead and some come from behind, but I've brought a big bat, I am all ready you see, now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"
-Dr. Seuss

Post by 1972 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feed back.

billbillie

Post by billbillie » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:33 am

bbull311 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:31 pm
Try the Streamlight TLR-1hl. It doesn't have a laser (not a big fan) but it does have the lumens plus some that you are selecting tactical light. It also has the strobe function (again no a big fan). It also has a long gun kit that you can buy with it.
Same recommendation. Streamlight's HL series is my favorite. The brand's lamps are compact and sturdy. The strobe function is activated, causing two consecutive instantaneous impacts on the side of the switch. And for the front end of the gun, the light is not too heavy.