Upgraded barrel

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
navjumper

Upgraded barrel

Post by navjumper » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:11 pm

I have the 870 tactical with an 18" barrel. I wanted to go geese hunting and do some skeet shooting, So I purchased a 28" barrel. When I put the new barrel on I noticed that when you chamber the next shell the barrel loosens from the receiver. I found a video where it is recommended to use 1" PVC as a buffer to keep the barrel in place. It actually worked and worked well, except the other folks in the hunting blind thought I had a grenade launcher. This was done in a hasty manner just so I could use the new shotgun to hunt, and as mentioned it worked. It doesn't look pretty but it is effective. So my question is - Is there and aftermarket piece that I can purchase to replace the homemade PVC option?

Since someone made a video on how to make this work, I feel confident there are others out there in the same situation. I'd appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks!!!!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Upgraded barrel

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:09 am

I've been hearing that Remington now offers a spacer specifically built for this purpose, but I haven't even seen a picture of it. I'd be leery of homemade spacers, especially if they're plastic. Admittedly, the 870's bolt does lock directly into the barrel, and the firing pin can't extend past the breechface until that happens, so bad headspacing or out-of-battery firings shouldn't really be concerns. Still, I wouldn't trust it to keep the barrel secure, especially with heavy-recoiling loads. It may work well enough temporarily, but if the barrel is loose enough to rattle around when the gun is discharged, it could damage the receiver, ejector, and/or magazine tube over time.

If you really want a multi-purpose shotgun, you would be better off with a standard 870 that has a 4-round base magazine tube. The special Tactical receivers are really best left for dedicated combat/defensive builds. Even if you buy or make a spacer that works perfectly, you'll still end up with a pretty nose-heavy sporting arm.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:33 pm

One option would be to take a forend tube and cut it down to the length (4.75) of your PVC tube and use it for the spacer. New ones run in the $40 range. I've bought used ones on ebay for half that. Someone here may have one with bad threads or arms that would let you have cheap. A Mossberg, Winchester or Ithaca tube may even fit over the Remington mag tube.

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... 17672.aspx
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:04 am

I'm not sure a fore-end tube would be thick enough or a tight enough fit to be properly clamped between a mag cap & barrel guide ring. Fore-end tubes aren't really all that tight on the magazine tube, they have shallow dimples stamped into them to ride on the mag tube, and these dimples might be cut off if the fore-end tube is shortened. And even if the magazine cap can be tightened down properly on a thin tube like that, nothing would keep it from backing off under recoil. At least with a piece of thick-walled tubing, you can stick a wave washer under the cap. Not sure if that would be enough, but it should help.

stomachache

Post by stomachache » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:01 am

Remington sells a spacer, part number F402819. Sells for $22.39. Just call their customer service line and select parts. Takes 7-10 days.

Here's a pic installed.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:30 am

Thanks for finally giving us an image of & part information for that spacer, Stomachache. Much appreciated. How much shooting have you done with it so far? And how much does it weigh?

navjumper

Post by navjumper » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:52 am

Stomache - Thank you for the information. I knew there had to be something out there other than the quick fix PVC pipe option. And if there wasn't someone had the potential to make a nice profit manufacturing a spacer.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:25 am

Stomachache, thanks for the pics and information!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

navjumper

Post by navjumper » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:22 am

This is the response I received from Remington - I called and ordered mine yesterday.

This part is available from our Consumer Services parts department. The parts department can be reached at 1-800-243-9700 Mon-Fri, 9-5 EST. I have included the part number and price below for your reference.

F402819 - $22.39

khanizzle

Post by khanizzle » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:01 pm

Just ordered mine yesterday! WOOHOO! :D