870 express sight in

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
spanky32354

870 express sight in

Post by spanky32354 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:13 pm

I took my grandson's 20 ga 870 express with the rifled slug barrel out last week to sight in before gun season. The barrel is not the cantilever so have to use the receiver saddle to mount the scope. I never could get it to zero in. Always shot at least 12 inches low at 25 yards. I maxed out the "up" adjustment. I used 2 different newer Nikon scopes thinking maybe one of the scopes was bad. I used the Wheeler scope mount kit so it was all level. I tried 4 different brands of ammo. I cleaned the gun before each attempt. Anyone have any ideas what to do next???

Alpha Wolf
Shotgunner

Re: 870 express sight in

Post by Alpha Wolf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:01 am

spanky32354 wrote:I took my grandson's 20 ga 870 express with the rifled slug barrel out last week to sight in before gun season. The barrel is not the cantilever so have to use the receiver saddle to mount the scope. I never could get it to zero in. Always shot at least 12 inches low at 25 yards. I maxed out the "up" adjustment. I used 2 different newer Nikon scopes thinking maybe one of the scopes was bad. I used the Wheeler scope mount kit so it was all level. I tried 4 different brands of ammo. I cleaned the gun before each attempt. Anyone have any ideas what to do next???

Sounds like it may be your mount. It may not be angled up enough or maintaining its position. What brand is it?

Could the recoil be breaking your scopes?

I have a red dot on my 870 tactical model. Mounted directly to the rail on the receiver. I have no issues hitting a 12" plate out at 150 yards with just a red dot. Adjusted right in.
870 Express Tactical Magpul Black
M1 Garand
M1A Socom 16
Yugo SKS
Swiss K31
GP100
S&W Model 60
S&W Model 18
XD 40 4"
Kimber 1911 Team Match II
Assorted 22 cal rifles.