20 Gauge Light Mount

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
aegusto
Active Shotgunner

20 Gauge Light Mount

Post by aegusto » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:30 am

What's the hot ticket for a 20 gauge light mount that clamps to a factory magazine extension?

The Elzetta was a cheap plastic piece of trash. I don't think the CDM 20 gauge model will ever get made. Have not found an alternative except duct tape.

Suggestions appreciated!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: 20 Gauge Light Mount

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:14 am

What's the outside diameter of your extension?

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:10 pm

I don't have my Mitutoyos handy, but it's the Remington factory 20 gauge mag extension #F400683.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:09 am

I don't have one handy to measure. The reason I ask is because typical outer diameters for 12ga 870 barrels are a significant step down from the standard 1" outer diameter of 12ga magazine tubes. Perhaps there's a clamp-on light mount intended for 12ga barrels that will work on a 20ga magazine tube.

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:22 am

Great idea! As soon as I find my calipers I'll check it out. Now here is a very simple solution that looks good, but I'm afraid the 20 gauge magazine extension is smaller than 1". Never found the calipers, but eyeballing the diameter with a tape measure it looks like 7/8" or slightly smaller. Definitely smaller in diameter than my FAB Defense G2 3V.

Another great idea from elsewhere on the interwebitubes: "To be honest you can use a 12 gauge bracket, just glue some rubber from a bicycle innertube inside the clamps and it should take up the extra room. Once tightened down it shouldn't slip."

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:54 pm

A rubber shim could work, though if you're clamping directly to the barrel, you could run into heat issues depending on exactly what type of rubber you're using (and how many shells you tend to go through in a single session). It might be worth ordering some specialized material rather than recycling whatever rubber scraps you have lying around. Strips or small sheets of something like high-temperature silicone shouldn't be very expensive, and can even be had with peel-and-stick adhesive backing.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:44 pm

CDM Gear announced flashlight mounts for 20 gauge Remington 870 recently.
Attachments
cdm_gear20gauge_flashlight_holder2.jpg
cdm_gear20gauge_flashlight_holder2.jpg (126.35 KiB) Viewed 7703 times
cdm_gear20gauge_flashlight_holder.jpg
cdm_gear20gauge_flashlight_holder.jpg (75.05 KiB) Viewed 7703 times
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:32 pm

The CDM is what I've wanted for the past year or two, but it has been very difficult for them to bring it to market. Here's hoping it shows up soon. I'll buy several!

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:26 am

CHECK THIS OUT FROM CDM. ORDERED MINE TODAY:

The UL Series of shotgun light mounts are machined from solid 6061-T6 aluminum billet and hard anodized to a Mil Std. Type III hard coat finish. This is a “NO TOOLS” mount and we designed this mount for added strength by incorporating a way to use the barrel lug as an additional support reducing rotational movement of the light mount. The UL series will be available in a 1” light version currently. Because this is custom machining we can only approximate completion dates but we expect to ship no later than November 16th, 2015.

You can check it out and place your discounted order at this link until November 6th at which time the offer will expire and the MSRP will replace it.

http://cdmgear.com/ULRemington20ga.html

NOTE: Our initial UL series light mount for 20ga. Remington shotguns will not have a sling mount at this time. This mount was designed and built around the 20ga. Remington shotgun without a magazine tube extension. The non extended magazine tube uses a retention device under the magazine tube cap which is not used in magazine tube extensions. We can not guarantee that the magazine tube will not unscrew itself during recoil without a clamp to stop the rotation and this light mount does not additionally provide that function.

aegusto
Active Shotgunner

Post by aegusto » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 am

clamping directly to the barrel
Both light mounts (the one from Brownells and the CDM) clamp to the magazine tube, not the barrel. I don't think heat will be an issue with rubber shims.