Pistols

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Re: Pistols

Post by DaveC » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Fellow Rem 870 enthusiasts,
I'm up to five double-action revolvers now:
.22 lr Ruger LCR ("the understudy")
.327 fed mag (.312") Ruger SP101 3-in. with bobbed hammer
.38+P S&W 638-2 Bodyguard Airweight ("the pocket carry of olde skool times")
.357 Ruger Speed Six 2-3/4" stainless with bobbed hammer and Tyler T-grip adapter ("The one" as in "all-in-one" handgun)
9x19mm Ruger Luger LCR with five extra moon-clips (Possible replacement for S&W? Goes with my Beretta 9mm "stürm-let" Carbine.
;)
Happy 2015!
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

blake52

Post by blake52 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:08 pm

I have a cz 75 p-01

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:07 am

Zebra62 wrote:The M&P does have the little internal lever inside the mag well to pull down rendering the weapon disfunctional. It is part of the take-down procedure. Mag out, lock the slide back, ensure weapon is unloaded, wiggle the tool out of the grip, move the lever down, unlock slide, trip the take down lever, take the slide off. Kinda complex. The Beretta is much easier.
A mag safety is a deal-killer for me - at least in a defensive handgun. I don't want a gun that won't fire if I get caught in the middle of a reload, or if I accidentally hit the mag release in a stressful situation.

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:33 am

Synchronizor wrote:A mag safety is a deal-killer for me - at least in a defensive handgun. I don't want a gun that won't fire if I get caught in the middle of a reload, or if I accidentally hit the mag release in a stressful situation.
The lever inside the mag well on this one is not intended as a mag safety, I don't think, because it must be physically moved down to render the weapon disfunctional. It is part of the take down procedure. I think it is also there as a safety feature should the waepon be stored for an extended period.

This is printed on the side of the slide: caution - capable of firing with magazine removed. No deal breaker there. My Beretta has a similar caution on the side of its slide: Fires without magazine.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:21 am

Oh, alright, my mistake. I thought you were referring to the mag safety lever, not the sear deactivation lever. Glad to hear your wife's gun doesn't have that dumb feature.
S_W M_P Mag Safety.JPG
S_W M_P Mag Safety.JPG (105.77 KiB) Viewed 10754 times

BlueSmoke
Shotgunner

Post by BlueSmoke » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:46 am

I'm of the fence as far as magazine safeties go.......

I personally know a police officer that was in a life threatening physical struggle with a suspect who gained control of the officers firearm. Before the suspect got the gun the officer dropped the firearms' magazine and that is what prevented the suspect from killing him. The gun would not fire without a magazine. I believe the firearm was an early generation S&W.

He does not recall choosing to press the mag release....... but it was the right thing to do ...... to save his life.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:11 am

BlueSmoke wrote:I'm of the fence as far as magazine safeties go.......

I personally know a police officer that was in a life threatening physical struggle with a suspect who gained control of the officers firearm. Before the suspect got the gun the officer dropped the firearms' magazine and that is what prevented the suspect from killing him. The gun would not fire without a magazine. I believe the firearm was an early generation S&W.

He does not recall choosing to press the mag release....... but it was the right thing to do ...... to save his life.
I've considered that possibility, but to look at the flip side of the scenario you present; what if you manage to keep control of the gun in a similar struggle? You end up with a paperweight that's no good without a part that dropped to the ground and got kicked God-knows-where during the struggle, and your attacker is free to have another try at you. Presumably a police officer or a well-equipped civilian would have another magazine handy, but grabbing and inserting it would still take time, and a lot of concealed-carriers may not have another magazine on them, or it might be buried in a purse or pocket.

I think an argument could be made either way regarding the value or liability of magazine safeties during a hands-on retention struggle, but the fact that there are upsides and downsides to each makes that point of consideration kind of cancel itself out. The main problems I have with magazine safeties are that they leave the user vulnerable during a mag change, and that they render the gun inoperable in the event of an accidental magazine release. In those situations, a mag safety is only a liability.

MASSIVE
New Shotgunner

Post by MASSIVE » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:02 am

Pistols...

EDC is a S&W Shield 9mm (WITH the thumb safety), totally stock if I recall (why mess with perfection?).

Ruger SR9c -- That's a nice one. Was EDC until I tried the Shield. Now, the Nightstand Special.

Couple 22LR's -- The SR22 (perhaps the most perfect and wonderful rimfire pistol I've ever owned), M&P22 (fun as hell, drives tacks, even the wife & daughter love it).

And just added this BMF last week -- Love affair. Was hoping for a "cost effective fun gun" -- Wound up with one of the most awesome 1911 (slash "2011") type pistols I've ever fired. A couple polish tweaks (everything - I mean EVERYTHING - is Parkerized) and it's the new boss. 3 pounds even - empty. A little Flitz and a rotary tool on the rails and it's like it's sliding on ball bearings.

Sorry - I don't mean to fawn... I just can't wait to get back to the range. :oops:
JWS_1984.JPG
RIA 51679 TAC Ultra FS HC 9mm
JWS_1984.JPG (362.04 KiB) Viewed 10655 times
There may be others... :roll:

BlueMountain

Post by BlueMountain » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:28 am

Ruger SR9c all the way. Then my Ruger GP100 .357 Mag.
Actually, it depends on what use they will be put to. Love them both, as well as my Ruger SR45.
I'm kind of a Ruger fanboy as far as pistols go, but I like others as well. I have owned Sig and Springfield Armory pistols and like them both.
NRA Endowment Life Member
NAHC Trophy Life Member
NWTF Member
NYSRPA Member

Holmes375
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Holmes375 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:57 am

XDS 3.3 .45
FNP Comp .45
Glock 32 .357 Sig