Fitting the buttplate on my grandson's 39A

Talk about other firearms: rifles, pistols etc.
000Robert
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Fitting the buttplate on my grandson's 39A

Post by 000Robert » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:52 am

Hello everyone! What is the best way to fit the new rubber buttplate to my grandson's 1952 Marlin 39A, and make it look good? Do yall just use a Dremel with a sanding wheel? And should this model have the white spacer between the stock and buttplate? Luckily the bullseye hole was not used for a sling stud!

Also, I am torn between refinishing the stock and forearm or not. Half of me wants to refinish it and the other half wants me to leave it alone. I think leaving it alone shows its character and patina. But refinishing it would make it look new and gorgeous. Or maybe I should just let my grandson decide when he gets old enough? He is probably going to add some bumps and bruises to it before he grows up anyway.

What do yall think that I should do?

Marlin 39A Stock-1.jpg
Marlin 39A Stock-1.jpg (75.28 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
Marlin 39A Stock-2.jpg
Marlin 39A Stock-2.jpg (43.67 KiB) Viewed 4786 times

000Robert
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: Fitting the buttplate on my grandson's 39A

Post by 000Robert » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:01 pm

The new buttplate is plastic, not rubber.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:59 am

Marlin buttstocks were a consistent size, so if you get the right buttplate, not fitting will be needed. Normally a jig is used to match the angle of the stock, and then the buttplate is sanded to the right size and shape. Many, many YouTube videos on this topic. But you should be able to order the part directly from Marlin, so give them a call.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

000Robert
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by 000Robert » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:11 am

Scorpion8 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:59 am
Marlin buttstocks were a consistent size, so if you get the right buttplate, not fitting will be needed. Normally a jig is used to match the angle of the stock, and then the buttplate is sanded to the right size and shape. Many, many YouTube videos on this topic. But you should be able to order the part directly from Marlin, so give them a call.
Thanks, Scorpion8. It would be nice to buy one that fitted. I will contact Marlin. I know the stock is the original because the serial number on it is the same number that is on the receiver.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:14 pm

000Robert wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:11 am
I will contact Marlin. I know the stock is the original because the serial number on it is the same number that is on the receiver.
Sadly, and I've asked Marlin several times why they don't have online parts ordering like Remington does, now that Remington owns them. They keep stating "Oh you can just call us" but that negates the speed and ability of ordering a simple part online. I call it "the Homer Syndrome". There are too many Homer among us, and nooooooo, am not referring to the fabled Greek.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

000Robert
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by 000Robert » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:26 pm

Scorpion8 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Sadly, and I've asked Marlin several times why they don't have online parts ordering like Remington does, now that Remington owns them. They keep stating "Oh you can just call us" but that negates the speed and ability of ordering a simple part online. I call it "the Homer Syndrome". There are too many Homer among us, and nooooooo, am not referring to the fabled Greek.
I guess I will have to call them then. I need to get the white spacer also. Thanks!