Later Guys

Talk about everything not related to Remington 870
ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Later Guys

Post by ponycarman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Funny how in an aweful experience you another firearm enthusiast. I'm glad things are starting to straighten out. I have nothing good to say about how it was handled. It may be taken seriously but they are still children. Beretta's are excellent firearms :) . Their shotguns are out of my price range though haha.

GateKeeper
New Shotgunner

Post by GateKeeper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:50 pm

no doubt a bad move on the kids part. But it should not be a life altering event for it.

But people need to understand that children are in far more danger driving to and from school in a car.
Lady liberal is absolutely furbar-ing common sense.

USMC_5711
Shotgunner

Later Guys

Post by USMC_5711 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:27 pm

I would look into whatever the CPS appeals process is, or some sort of a complaint review process.

If you are an NRA member or part of any state or local gun rights organization, get them keyed into what is/has happened in the event that the CPS person retaliates against you.

This is happening to you in Texas????
WTF?

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

Odyknuck
Shotgunner

Post by Odyknuck » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:30 pm

WoW! Talk about way over the top. It was just a shell for Christ sake! You would have thought the kid brought in a loaded gun! Sorry for all your grief.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:28 pm

USMC_5711 wrote:I would look into whatever the CPS appeals process is, or some sort of a complaint review process.

If you are an NRA member or part of any state or local gun rights organization, get them keyed into what is/has happened in the event that the CPS person retaliates against you.
Even though the CPS meddling is BS, I think trying to fight it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth. They needed to get a gun safe anyway, so all the headache and effort of trying to appeal would just be to get out of a class, a couple doctor's visits, and a little community service - or whatever they still have left to do for those. Sounds to me like just swallowing pride and moving on with life would be a lot easier on everyone involved.

Hedgelog
New Shotgunner

Post by Hedgelog » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:57 am

What a painful thread for me to read. My heart goes out to you and your family in coping with what should be a minor issue. I graduated from H.S. in Kansas in 1980 and kept my shotgun and rifle in my unlockable pickup every day in the school parking lot. Our Physics teacher was an amateur gunsmith, so we could carry our guns into school for him to look at as long as they were cased. What has changed since 1980? I do not think that guns or shotgun shells are the problem.
Why is a shotgun shell any more threatening than the finger used to pull the trigger?
Hedgelog

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:04 am

Synchronizor wrote:Even though the CPS meddling is BS, I think trying to fight it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth. They needed to get a gun safe anyway, so all the headache and effort of trying to appeal would just be to get out of a class, a couple doctor's visits, and a little community service - or whatever they still have left to do for those. Sounds to me like just swallowing pride and moving on with life would be a lot easier on everyone involved.
I am inclined to agree with Synchro on this. We are now several weeks down the line from when it all started and it hasn't been all bad.

The safety course and community service came and went without incident. Having been through a similar class, it was more of a refresher for us. I chatted with the instructor for a while afterward a clued him in on why we were there. I explained to him what happened and he agreed my previous measures should have been sufficient. I mean gee whiz...everything was behind two locked doors and the keys were kept in separate locations. I just have a very smart and observant son albeit very curious and much wiser. He did also agree the safe is a better option.

Our weekly visits to the shrink are a formality. He decided very early on it was a waste of time and effort, but to keep up with CPS instructions we keep going.

I did find out how the CPS got involved. It seems the bus driver is the older brother of the CPS agent. He told her and she did the rest. He also lost his job for violating his chain of command and going directly to his sister. Hated to see him go. I may need to send him a nice fruit basket.

We are weathering the storm as best we can, keeping ourselves in line with CPS instructions, waiting for something else to happen. I am a more enlightened individual and I am happy for the experience. Just wish it would have come a different way.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

GateKeeper
New Shotgunner

Post by GateKeeper » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:56 am

I agree
For the kid:
do what the schools says and move on. A day or two in the hole. Some safety classes. and move on. Parents eco what the school says.
Daddy. You are responsible. plain and simple. Get the guns to your brother's house or local gun shop safe. and let her/things settle down. That would be a great lesson for your kid. Just because they are insane doesn't mean you have to be.
I run 3 safes. parts taken off guns for safety. Gun in another, Ammo in a third. No key lock.
The biggest threats in my house are my guns. My kids are older now, but anybody with children under twelve need to remember that they are kids under twelve and do stupid things for absolutely no reason.
I know two friends that were shot dead, their brothers picked up a loaded gun and to the dead zone they went. end of story. One was in 8tth grade and his 5th grade brother killed him. The other two were in high school.
Just because the school over reacted doesn't mean you have to.

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:14 am

GateKeeper wrote:I agree.
With which part?
GateKeeper wrote: For the kid:
do what the schools says and move on. A day or two in the hole. Some safety classes. and move on. Parents eco what the school says.
School did not impose much of a punishment. A couple days in school detention and left the rest up to me. CPS got involded and the whole thing got out of hand.
GateKeeper wrote: Daddy. You are responsible. plain and simple.
I never said I wasn't responsible for my Son's actions. I AM responsible for him in everything he does. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.
GateKeeper wrote:Get the guns to your brother's house
I don't have a brother
GateKeeper wrote:or local gun shop safe.
My local gun shop does not allow for storage of privately owned weapons.
GateKeeper wrote:and let her/things settle down.
Which "HER" am I supposed to let settle down? Wife or CPS? Choose cafefully.

I don't know you or your life experiences. You don't know me or my life experiences. The situation described in this thread is very abrasive to my normally easy going nature and your words are equally abrasive.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

GateKeeper
New Shotgunner

Post by GateKeeper » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 am

wow, can't even agree without getting in trouble.

My post was just a quick list of observations. It had no feeling attacked to it on my end. I will try and add softer adjectives in the future, I am not a good writer.

I agreed with how you are handling the CPS. I think it is great that you are doing what they said. One look around your house will be enough for them to back off, A good home, with caring parents, putting up with an ubfortantunate situation.

My point was to get the guns out of the house for a period of time. To settle either the wife, kid, mother law, whoever, or the CPS.

I think you are using this experience as an excellent teach tool for your kid. Good show.