Music

Talk about everything not related to Remington 870
Ace of Spades
Shotgunner

Music

Post by Ace of Spades » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:40 pm

I use a pair of electronic hearing protectors which you can plug in your phone or iPod. What music do you listen to while you're emptying your 870, AR, handgun, Uzi or whatever at the range? I must admit I like "Ride of the Valkyries" by Wagner. Used to great effect in the 7th Cavalry helicopter attack in Apocalyse Now. However some Metallica, Sabbath, Stones or Floyd goes down pretty well too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” Albert Einstein

SignessSG
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Music

Post by SignessSG » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Personally, I prefer not to pump extra noise in my ears. I like to listen to the report of my rounds as I'm firing. One squib stuck in the bore + a follow up shot while not paying attention can ruin somebody's day. Speaking from experience....had 2 squibs get stuck in my barrels on the same damned day. Put 2 revolvers out of commission until I could get them home and tap the rounds out. Pissed me off..it was factory ammo that wasn't that old. Anyway, those 2 boxes were retired from service.
Remington 870 Police Magnum 12 Gauge
Sig Sauer P220 Carry SAS SAO .45 ACP
Sig Sauer P938 9mm
Belgian Browning HiPower 9mm
Ruger GP100 Stainless .357 Magnum 4"
Smith & Wesson Model 36 .38 Special

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 am

SignessSG wrote:Personally, I prefer not to pump extra noise in my ears. I like to listen to the report of my rounds as I'm firing. One squib stuck in the bore + a follow up shot while not paying attention can ruin somebody's day. Speaking from experience....had 2 squibs get stuck in my barrels on the same damned day. Put 2 revolvers out of commission until I could get them home and tap the rounds out. Pissed me off..it was factory ammo that wasn't that old. Anyway, those 2 boxes were retired from service.

A big +1 to this!!!
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.

Chef Duane
Shotgunner

Post by Chef Duane » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:18 am

I agree with Signess on this one. No music for me as I want to hear the report of MY weapon and the report(s) of those around me. Keeps me aware if anything is amiss. Also, I ride a motorcycle and never listen to anything other than the sound of the bike and sounds going on around me. Many a biker have gotten themselves into traffic trouble by not being aware of surrounding sounds. No distractions when shooting guns or riding motorcycles. Both pastimes require complete attention IMHO.
There is no greater defense against evil on the rampage that a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:46 pm

Chef Duane wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:18 am
No distractions when shooting guns or riding motorcycles. Both pastimes require complete attention IMHO.
A point that I wished more folks would follow. You see kids wearing earbuds in their car while driving or head-banging away with music so they CANNOT be concentrating on their driving or other drivers. I rarely have music on in the car because I prefer to listen to the sound of my engine, road noise, and such. That's a seriously dangerous piece of equipment that you're operating and it demands close attention.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Chef Duane
Shotgunner

Post by Chef Duane » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:07 pm

Amen, Brother.
There is no greater defense against evil on the rampage that a loaded firearm in the hands of a free man.