Extended Chokes for trap and skeet

RainMan_JH
Experienced Shotgunner

Extended Chokes for trap and skeet

Post by RainMan_JH » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:33 am

So I frequently see people using the extended style chokes at the range. I am curious of everyone's thoughts on their benefits if any. I currently have a modified and a full flush mount chokes. I would like to invest in a better set of chokes and was looking at the extended style but am just curious if they are worth it as they are twice the cost.

Thoughts?

jpfrog
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Extended Chokes for trap and skeet

Post by jpfrog » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:03 am

There are two main benefits, from what I've gathered anyway.

First, the extended choke tubes protect the muzzle of your barrel from being bumped when being used or stored (many Over/Under owners will store their guns in a safe muzzle down to prevent gravity from causing oils to seep into the buttstock). If bumped, it's much cheaper to replace a choke tube than fix a nice scratch or chip on a barrel.

Second, they are much easier to swap out than flush mounts, as they do not require a special tool but can simply be turned by hand much like opening a bottle of water or soda.

There are probably other benefits, but these are the only two I know.

Hntbambi
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Hntbambi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:53 am

jpfrog touched on some of the benefits of longer chokt tubes. Another benefit is it allows the shooter to twist easier for hard crossing shots due to the wallet being thinner in your back pocket. :lol:

All kidding aside, they allow the shooter to know what choke is installed at a glance. Some of the flush tubes have notches in the end of the tube, but color coding or written constriction is easier for me. For the trap or skeet shooter it's not that big of a deal, but the sporting clay shooter who is swapping out tubes on each station it can be easier.

If you are going to invest in a good set of tubes, look to Briley. They are tops in chokes. They don't just use .xxx" for a modified choke, they measure the bore and use the proper constriction. They offer chokes from:
cylinder bore = no constriction
skeet = .005" constriction
improved cylinder = .010" constriction
light modified = .015" constriction
modified = .020" constriction
improved modified = .025" constriction
light full = .030" constriction
full = .035" constriction
extra full = .040" constriction
diffusion (.005" constriction + rifled)

What makes brand 'A' choke worth more than brand 'B'? There is a lot of research and development that has gone in to making chokes. The length and angle of the transition portion that moves the shot column from bore size into the tube, to the length of the parallel portion that stabilizes the shot column, to the angle,length, and constriction of the actual choke portion all play into how the tube performs. Simply buying a blank tube and boring it to .650" will not work the same as a Briley tube with .080" constriction (nominal 12 ga bore diameter is 0.730"). It's a combination of the internal geometry that makes them work so well.

RainMan_JH
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by RainMan_JH » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Great info thanks for the comments.