S and J follower shipping.

Official forum of S&J Hardware. Discussions, News and Announcements.

Moderator: S&J Forum Moderator

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Re: S and J follower shipping.

Post by ponycarman » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:21 pm

I have already tested it with the old slide assembly. It definately hangs up on something. If the action isn't opened with some extreme force it locks up pretty badly. I have been tempted to try to modify my slide and even my old bolt to match the new style. But another slide isn't that expensive. But from my testing different combinations of new and old style parts it definately need all of them to function properly. You may be able to get by with only certain parts but it is still pretty difficult to clear the jam. With the system complete it as easy to clear as it is to normally work the action.

When trying to work the action without the new slide ut feels like the rim of the cartridge hangs up on something in the action. I can't see where exactly.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 06, 2013 12:56 am

It probably is those centrally-placed attachment points on the underside of the slide assembly. I really can't see anything else that would cause problems.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Mon May 06, 2013 3:55 am

It may be. I'm not sure. I've been keeping my eye out for a new slide assembly. Been watching a couple but I haven't bought one yet. There is a seller on eBay selling the s&j orange follower and their oversized safety button for around $30 if I remember correctly. Is the oversized safety button a worthwhile upgrade?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 06, 2013 4:30 am

ponycarman wrote:I've been keeping my eye out for a new slide assembly. Been watching a couple but I haven't bought one yet.
I'm pretty sure you can just order those new from Remington for $21 (or the Marine Magnum part for $16 - no idea why it's cheaper), plus shipping. Are you looking for a better deal on a used part?
ponycarman wrote:There is a seller on eBay selling the s&j orange follower and their oversized safety button for around $30 if I remember correctly. Is the oversized safety button a worthwhile upgrade?
I'd call them a preferential thing. Some folks swear by them, some don't like them, and I've even heard of people who buy the steel big-head safeties, only to turn them down so they can have a standard safety button that isn't plastic. Personally, I like my factory safety button, it fits me just fine the way I hold my gun with my preferred stocks, and I can snap it off without even taking my finger off the trigger. For me, I think a big domed safety button would just get in the way. But if you find it difficult or awkward to quickly disengage your safety without pulling your finger out of the trigger guard, you might like a large-head button. If you use your gun in cold weather that necessitates heavy gloves, a large safety button might be nice to have there as well.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Mon May 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Synchronizor wrote:I'm pretty sure you can just order those new from Remington for $21 (or the Marine Magnum part for $16 - no idea why it's cheaper), plus shipping. Are you looking for a better deal on a used part?

I'd call them a preferential thing. Some folks swear by them, some don't like them, and I've even heard of people who buy the steel big-head safeties, only to turn them down so they can have a standard safety button that isn't plastic. Personally, I like my factory safety button, it fits me just fine the way I hold my gun with my preferred stocks, and I can snap it off without even taking my finger off the trigger. For me, I think a big domed safety button would just get in the way. But if you find it difficult or awkward to quickly disengage your safety without pulling your finger out of the trigger guard, you might like a large-head button. If you use your gun in cold weather that necessitates heavy gloves, a large safety button might be nice to have there as well.
I may just do that eith the slide. Do they offer it on their website or just through phone order? I wonder if the marine magnum part is different in any way. A coating or different design. The part isn't really seen when together so if it would work I wouldn't have a problem with that part.

You answered my question for the safety button. I don't have a problem with the regular button. I didn't really think it was needed. There are very few needed upgrades to the 870 design. I believe all I need is the slide and follower now and I'm done. I've thought about a light mount and light but I'm not so sure.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 06, 2013 8:25 pm

ponycarman wrote:I may just do that eith the slide. Do they offer it on their website or just through phone order? I wonder if the marine magnum part is different in any way. A coating or different design. The part isn't really seen when together so if it would work I wouldn't have a problem with that part.
Remington's online store is great if you want to buy brand merchandise, but crap if you're looking for parts. They also have an old-school, mail-in parts order form you can download, but it'd probably be best to just call. They can take your card and address right over the phone, and help you make sure you're getting the right part. As for whether the phone operators will know all the minor technical details for every part they sell, well, that's more of a crap-shoot, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

ponycarman
Senior Shotgunner

Post by ponycarman » Tue May 07, 2013 4:27 am

Alright thanks for the info I may give them a call sometime soon.