Are trigger plate assemblies interchangeable?

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
CRK0116

Are trigger plate assemblies interchangeable?

Post by CRK0116 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:14 am

Hello all, this is my first post: a question.
I inherited an 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge, and we found the gun apart (maybe for cleaning?). Long story short, I appear to be missing the whole trigger assembly, including the retaining pins. I'm searching for something to replace it, since a) I want this family heirloom to be a complete firearm and b) I'd also like to shoot it :D
But I'm having trouble finding thing with the exact details (Wingmaster 20 gauge). Most just say 870, nothing more specific. Are the trigger assemblies generally the same between models and calibers? Or do I just have a special snowflake of a shotgun that I'll have trouble finding parts for?
Any help will be appreciated, especially links to any places to buy the right parts :)
Thanks guys!

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Re: Are trigger plate assemblies interchangeable?

Post by Banshee » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:29 am

12ga trigger housings are interchangable with 12ga and 20ga are interchangable with 20ga.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

CRK0116

Post by CRK0116 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:53 pm

That makes sense now that I think about it, so I can get any 20 gauge assembly and slot it in. Thanks a bunch, maybe I'll post pics when it is all done.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 am

Make sure you know if your 870 is an older large-frame 20ga or a newer small-frame model. That'll make a difference for the trigger plate assembly.

CRK0116

Post by CRK0116 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:24 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 am
Make sure you know if your 870 is an older large-frame 20ga or a newer small-frame model. That'll make a difference for the trigger plate assembly.
Hey, oddly enough I used your videos to get the rest of my gun back together when we found, so thanks for that!
Are there any tells as to which is which, or is it just dimensions?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 am

You can tell from the serial number, but Remington's changed up the serial number system for the 870 enough that that's not as simple as it used to be. The most straightforward method is to measure the receiver:

If you don't have a good way to measure though, I can get into the serial number thing.

CRK0116

Post by CRK0116 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:48 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:42 am
You can tell from the serial number, but Remington's changed up the serial number system for the 870 enough that that's not as simple as it used to be. The most straightforward method is to measure the receiver:

If you don't have a good way to measure though, I can get into the serial number thing.
I've determined that I've got the thicker reciever; but now I've got another question:
Is this what the LW designation is, I'm assuming lightweight for the smaller reciever? For example this part I found on Numrich:
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/97250
And if so what designates the older, larger receiver I have?

Smoke-pole
New Shotgunner

Post by Smoke-pole » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:39 pm

Years ago I bought a used 870 20 ga designated LW, chambered for the 3" shells, in mint condition. Manufactured in 1984, it has the smaller receiver, 1 1/4" wide. Research has me thinking that my gun and all the other scaled-down 20 gauge models were designed by engineers who exploited the smaller receivers used in a "family" of long guns including 28 gauge shotguns, and some of their center-fire canons like the 742, 7400 and 7600. It's easy to see why the engineers would have ; they were thus able to introduce a gun that was well-suited for youth and ladies of small stature without as much re-tooling as would have been necessary had they not already been manufacturing guns with small frames, so to speak. Prior to the advent of the LWs, 20 gauge guns were basically the full-sized 870s but with a smaller barrel and magazine tube. (if anyone reading this post knows more detail, like whether the bolt and shell elevator were scaled down also, I'd like to know.) Plus who wouldn't like a 20 that can shoot a 12 gauge load--even if it kicks like a mule. I remember when the LW went into production--Remington's tag line was something to this effect: "We started with a 20 gauge shell and built a gun around it."
One more thing; Mine would jam when using 3" shells. I replaced the shell latches and so far it's OK. I'm wondering if other "LW 20" owners have experienced the same thing.

Trapguy
New Shotgunner

Post by Trapguy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm

If it has an X or N at the end of the serial number it is a 12ga framed 20.
It just means you can use a 12ga stock on this gun. Trigger groups should interchange with a 12ga. Nothing else really.