Ejection of shell

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
exbcmc

Ejection of shell

Post by exbcmc » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:16 am

I’m not a gun expert by any stretch of the imagination. I used an Ithaca for 25+ years and tried to buy one. No luck. It ejects shells from the bottom with authority. (Unspent, while unloading). My Remington spits them back, put I have to work it out with my finger...is this normal? ALSO, for the life of me, I can’t unscrew the nut to remove the barrel.
Thank you.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Ejection of shell

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Post up some pics of the barrel but that you have, it should unscrew relatively easily.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

exbcmc

Post by exbcmc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:28 am

Thank you....took it to the store where I purchased it. There is a small screw you have to loosen, then the nut.

J-wall
New Shotgunner

Post by J-wall » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:09 am

Was the barrel nut/magazine cap issue on the Ithaca or the 870? From what I have seen it sounds more like an Ithaca if there was a screw that had to be loosened.

On the 870 shell ejection, that is not normal. Granted, I have only owned mine for ~3 months and 400+ shells, but I have not had to dig a spent shell out with my finger from the chamber or from the breech/ejection port. I have had one shell bind a bit in the chamber upon removal, but it came out with more force. Once I had an unfired shell somehow manage to follow an ejected casing out. And the shells are not always thrown very far - but out they come.

However, your description sounds like it could be an ejector spiring or maybe something else. If you could take some photos of the inside of the receiver it would help our other resident experts diagnose your issue. Thanks!