Parts list for rebuild/refresh?

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
RunGuns

Parts list for rebuild/refresh?

Post by RunGuns » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:43 am

I picked up a well-used 870 Wingmaster that was a police trade-in. I'm going to give it a full makeover for use in the home defense and I can find plenty of lists of "upgrades", but what other parts should I replace while I have it apart? I was going to just order anything with "spring" in the name, but figured it would be wise to ask the experts instead of assuming.
Thanks in advance!
Mike

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Parts list for rebuild/refresh?

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 am

Do you know what year it was made? That would help give us an idea of what parts might be older versions that you could upgrade to current ones.

Springs might need replacing, or they might be totally fine. It really depends on how much use the gun's seen. Unless it's clearly unsafe to shoot, you may want to run it through its paces at a range and see if any issues pop up before you go ordering parts.

RunGuns

Post by RunGuns » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:54 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 am
Do you know what year it was made? That would help give us an idea of what parts might be older versions that you could upgrade to current ones.

Springs might need replacing, or they might be totally fine. It really depends on how much use the gun's seen. Unless it's clearly unsafe to shoot, you may want to run it through its paces at a range and see if any issues pop up before you go ordering parts.
Oh, yeah, good call. It looks like it was manufactured in 1997. I'm not sure where to look to get some idea of the number of rounds through this gun as I'm pretty new to shotguns. The outside is pretty rough and action is about 100x more smooth than my brand new Mossberg 500, but I'm not sure how much to make of that.
I appreciate the insight,
Mike

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu May 10, 2018 4:53 am

If it's a 1990s gun, it should have all the current versions of parts (unless things got mixed-and-matched with older models in the same armory, which does sometimes happen). It should be totally good to go for HD as-is, unless there's something you want to change just for personal preference.