finding the right barrel

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
binderfan

finding the right barrel

Post by binderfan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:29 am

hello, i am new here. i am trying to find a new rifled barrel for my remington 870 wingmaster 20g., but so far have been unable to locate anything that will fit, ive even been to a couple gun shops who have told me they dont make barrels for it anymore. i am looking for some help. the serial # of the gun is V321985X the problem is the bottom ring where you put the round nut on is bigger than any 20 guage barrel i can find. it actually is the same size as the 12 quage rings. any help would be greatfull. thanks

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Re: finding the right barrel

Post by Scorpion8 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:07 am

Hmmmmmm, first off - Welcome! Second - has that shotgun been modded before? Your best bet if a stock barrel won't fit is to call Remington customer service with that serial number and ask. Why (offhand) do you want the rifled slug barrel? That will restrict you to sabot-type slugs. With the smoothbore slug barrel, you can use any of the more common rifled slugs (he he he, yea, confusing ain't it?). Do you plan to hunt, or use it for self-home-defense? If you're using it at home, the smoothbore barrel is also better for buckshot. A rifled barrel makes buckshot do weird patterns.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:11 am

Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:26 am

That serial number is for an older (late 1970s to early 1980s) 20ga 870 that's built on the large receiver size also used by the 12 & 16ga models. Current 20ga Remington 870s are all built on the small-frame receivers, and all current-production 20ga barrels are meant for small-frame guns. Large- and small-frame 20ga barrels are not interchangeable; if you want a different barrel for your gun, you'll need to look on the used market for an older-large-frame 20ga barrel. Not sure the large-frame 20ga 870s ever came with fully-rifled barrels, though.

sdoyl123

Post by sdoyl123 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:07 am

Go to Brownell's they have several that will fit your gun.