Bedding compound for cantilever

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Ranger86
New Shotgunner

Bedding compound for cantilever

Post by Ranger86 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:07 am

Hello, i have a Remington 21" barrel on my 870. I bought the barrel used. The Remington cantilever is weaver, but I needed picatinny. I removed the rail and had it cut to picatinny specs. It was very difficult to remove and I needed to heat it with a torch to break the screws that attach it to the barrel free. My problem is that there was some type of bedding compound in the well on the barrel where the cantilever key fits into. The heat distorted it, so now I think I need to remove the existing bedding compound and replace it. Any suggestions on what bedding compounf to use when I redo it. Any ideas on how to remove the old material would be welcomed as well. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ranger86
New Shotgunner

Re: Bedding compound for cantilever

Post by Ranger86 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:08 am

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:48 am

Haven't monkeyed with a cantilever barrel yet, personally. If no-one here has any ideas, I would suggest looking up gunsmiths in your area who do action & scope mount bedding. They would probably know what you're dealing with, and be able to advise you.

Ranger86
New Shotgunner

Post by Ranger86 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:57 am

Well, I ended up using JB weld putty for metal. The cantilever use no loner crooked and the bore-sighter shows me it is aligned now. Next step is to confirm zero and then cerakote.