Trigger group 870

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
HawgDaddy

Trigger group 870

Post by HawgDaddy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:01 am

Looking for shortcut. When I remove the trigger group my shell stops want to come out. What's the best way to keep them in place when replacing the trigger group? It's a little difficult to hold them both in and get the group in. Any tech ideas?

Thanks

Komodoj
Shotgunner

Re: Trigger group 870

Post by Komodoj » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:53 am

I think your best bet is to just "Restake" the shell stops. Various companies sell a special tool for like $30 and its very easy to do. Just take your time and line it up. Imho?
If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under-Ronald Reagan

HawgDaddy

Post by HawgDaddy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Thank you Sir

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Yeah, re-staking would be the best thing to do. If you don't want to buy the tool and risk screwing something up by trying to do it yourself, any gunsmith qualified to work on 870s should be able to re-stake the shell latches in minutes.

While you're at it, make sure to clean the slots in the receiver before re-staking the latches into them, and if your 870 is an older one, you may want to go ahead and get new latches. New-style shell latches are beefier than the older ones, and won't have any wear. You can tell if your current latches are old-style by counting the staking recesses at the back of the latch. Older shell latches have two notches, newer ones have six.

HawgDaddy

Post by HawgDaddy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm quite sure mine's an older 870. I'm just curious. What's the customary charge for re-staking? I know it's regional an varies, but the tool is $35 and not rocket science. However, the tool most likely will only be used once or so.....so I'm wondering.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 am

I've never had it done myself. I would call around to gunsmith shops in your area and ask. Offer to strip and clean the receiver yourself before bringing it in, that way all they'll have to do is plonk the latches in the slots and swing a hammer a few times. Should be a very small amount of actual shop time, though they may have a minimum charge.