Shall I disassemble the gun every time I clean in?

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
KBA
New Shotgunner

Shall I disassemble the gun every time I clean in?

Post by KBA » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Hello.
Could you please share your thoughts, every time I clean the gun I detach the barrel and I have to unmount barrel clamp and extension tube as well. But shall I? Is there any way to clean it with barrel attached to the receiver?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Shall I disassemble the gun every time I clean in?

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:58 am

It depends on how intensively you're looking to clean your gun. If you just want to run a brush & patch through the barrel and clean the choke tube after a day at the range, you can certainly do that without disassembling anything. If you want to get at the interior of the receiver, or scrub out the bolt or trigger plate assembly, you'll need to disassemble it.

I agree that pulling off & re-attaching the bracket on the factory 2-piece extensions frequently in order to change barrels or clean things is kind of a pain. That's the main reason I've drifted over to aftermarket single-piece extensions in recent years. I don't clean my 870 all that often (it really doesn't need it), but I do reconfigure my gun a lot, and take it apart often for my videos & posts here.

Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Post by Bourget117 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm fairly new to shotgun owning and I've thought the same thing with my new 870. It is a pain to constantly remove the bracket and the two piece exxtension. Also to put it back on properly as not to pinch or kink the spring. As Sycronizer has said, the 870 does not need to be cleaned all the time to function properly. So what I've come up with is to remove the barrel and clean the receiver and trigger group only once in awhile with some Remoil spray. For a more simple cleaning I picked up a boresnake. With that I can clean AND lube the barrel quickly and easily.

KBA
New Shotgunner

Post by KBA » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:01 am

Thank you guys! Boresnake and removing barrel from time to time will works for me