WD 40

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Bigmike1461
New Shotgunner

WD 40

Post by Bigmike1461 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 pm

Okay I am new to guns, my friend who got me into this hobbie has been my go to guy he tells me after I use my gun or after I clean them to wipe down the rifle/shotgun with WD before I store them in safe. Now my other friend who's runs a trap and skeet range tells me that I shouldn't use WD because it will cause rust and I should use Remington oil instead.. So who do I listen to? Any info will be great help. Thanks

jbaby5878

WD 40

Post by jbaby5878 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Bigmike1461 wrote:Okay I am new to guns, my friend who got me into this hobbie has been my go to guy he tells me after I use my gun or after I clean them to wipe down the rifle/shotgun with WD before I store them in safe. Now my other friend who's runs a trap and skeet range tells me that I shouldn't use WD because it will cause rust and I should use Remington oil instead.. So who do I listen to? Any info will be great help. Thanks
I've always used Rem oil...Always done ok by me...And I've used the Hoppes #9 wipes they do great also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Re: WD 40

Post by Banshee » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

if you do an internet search on WD40 you will find that several test have been conducted that shows WD40 is a good rust preventative, even better than some of the new hi-tech concoctions. I have sprayed it on rags and wiped it on steels for years with no ill effects.

In the machine shop that I work in we tried using Rem oil in the tool pockets of CNC machines to prevent rust and it didn't always work out so well, so we now use WD40 and 711. Here in East TN we do have a high humidity level most of the time and I'm sure that doesn't help.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

FFBrent

Re: WD 40

Post by FFBrent » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:45 pm

WD40 is likely fine for that BUT it is a solvent and water displacer, NOT a lubricant. So if you do use it, keep that in mind when you shoot.
Personally I love WD40 but I would not use it in your scenario. But I am a newbie and my. 02 doesn't count. Have a good day!