Solvent on a marine mgnum

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Bourget117
Active Shotgunner

Solvent on a marine mgnum

Post by Bourget117 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:42 pm

Does anyone know if there is any cleaning solvent or brand/type that I should stay away from that can harm the nickel plating on a marine magnum?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Solvent on a marine mgnum

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:52 am

From what I've read, the big issue is that many cleaners contain chemicals meant to attack copper fouling, and since many nickel platings are applied over a layer of copper plating, those cleaners can get at the copper through nicks or scratches, and cause the nickel to flake off.

I believe the electroless nickel plating on the 870 Marine Magnum is just nickel-to-steel, with no copper plating between them, so it should be less susceptible to this than some other nickeld guns. Some cleaners may still take a toll on the nickel itself over long periods of exposure, however.

I don't really have a product recommendation to give, but hopefully that's helpful information for you. I will be watching this thread, because I'm in the market for a cleaner that's safe for my nickel-plated S&W M19. I've been using Hoppe's carefully & quickly so far, but I'd like to find something better for long-term, as I intend to keep this gun for quite some time.