scratches/burrs inside receiver

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Ric671

scratches/burrs inside receiver

Post by Ric671 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:57 am

How's it going y'all!

Just wondering if any of you have seen burrs or scratches like these inside the top of receivers of Remington 870 express models. i don't know much about shotguns and what the "normal" wear and tear signs are. if you look at the pics there are three noticeable pits/burrs/scratches along the inside of the receiver. i haven't seen much about this issue online from my research so far.

Can you guys give me a little bit of insight on what these are or what caused them? Or is it normal and i'm just worrying too much about it? lol Thanks!
IMG_0957-1.JPG
IMG_0957-1.JPG (84.78 KiB) Viewed 2823 times
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
FullSizeRender-1.jpg (71.99 KiB) Viewed 2823 times

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: scratches/burrs inside receiver

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:10 am

It's normal. Here's a picture of my 870's receiver that I took last year:
870 receiver ceiling wear.JPG
870 receiver ceiling wear.JPG (285.06 KiB) Viewed 2811 times
The finish wear doesn't show up too well, but you can see where the machining marks have been rubbed smooth, and the various divots hammered into it.

Those marks are from the locking block in the bolt dragging along & tapping the top of the receiver as the slide moves & changes direction. Even in heavily-used 870s, it's normally nothing to be concerned about. The locking block is specifically designed to ride over bumps & pits without hanging up. If the receiver were aluminum, they might eventually be a problem, but an 870's receiver is machined out of a block of steel, so little divots like that won't weaken anything.

Ric671

Re: scratches/burrs inside receiver

Post by Ric671 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:09 am

I was curious if I was the only one who had noticed it. It definitely seems like the 870's are built to take on any kind of wear, that's good to know. Back to shooting I go! Thanks a lot!