MIM extractor crack

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
Post Reply
CarolinaKat
New Shotgunner
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:46 am

MIM extractor crack

Post by CarolinaKat » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:13 pm

So I was cleaning my 870 magnum turkey gun a few weeks ago in preparation to pattern it for turkey season. I noticed a crack in the tip of the extractor. Luckily had previously bought a old style steel spare. So i replaced it.
IMG_1114.JPG
IMG_1114.JPG (770.76 KiB) Viewed 4546 times

User avatar
TexasArmor84
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Re: MIM extractor crack

Post by TexasArmor84 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Good catch I would purchase another and keep in your range bag I would go with a machined extractor


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CarolinaKat
New Shotgunner
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:46 am

Re: MIM extractor crack

Post by CarolinaKat » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 pm

TexasArmor84 wrote:Good catch I would purchase another and keep in your range bag I would go with a machined extractor
Yep thanks. Next time I order from Brownells I'll pick up another.
Dan

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: MIM extractor crack

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:35 am

Interesting; first time I've seen that happen. Does the crack go all the way through?

The material properties of MIM parts are virtually identical to wrought alloys when designed and manufactured properly, but they are - in theory - susceptible to internal defects if there're quality issues like bubbles in the feedstock. Remington really knows what they're doing with MIM parts, but no process is perfect.

CarolinaKat
New Shotgunner
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:46 am

Re: MIM extractor crack

Post by CarolinaKat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:04 am

Synchronizor wrote:Interesting; first time I've seen that happen. Does the crack go all the way through?

The material properties of MIM parts are virtually identical to wrought alloys when designed and manufactured properly, but they are - in theory - susceptible to internal defects if there quality issues like bubbles in the feedstock. Remington really knows what they're doing with MIM parts, but no process is perfect.
You know Synchronizer, I'm not 100% sure its a crack. Depending on the way the light and angle is, it sure looks like a crack. My eyes aren't that good anymore. I can feel it with my fingernail. I tried to see if I could pull it apart to make it gap open further but it doesn't separate any. At the time I found it, I had a spare extractor and just replaced it. On the low side the mark extends around to the bottom side of the extractor a bit. It may be a scratch. Maybe from contacting the sharp leading edge of the extractor slot in the barrel? If it's a scratch something pretty hard would have to do it. This gun has mostly seen premium brass based shells but I have shot a few boxes of the steel based shells through it.

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: MIM extractor crack

Post by Synchronizor » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:48 am

Hmm, maybe it just got handled roughly during manufacturing or installation. I would suggest sticking with the replacement extractor just to be on the safe side, but I would be interested in figuring out exactly what's going on with it. Remington's MIM parts are generally very good; I've never even seen a picture of a broken MIM extractor before.

Is there any way you can upload some close-up images?

User avatar
Vitaly
Owner
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:27 am

Re: MIM extractor crack

Post by Vitaly » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:12 pm

I've heard about problems with MIM-extractor but have never seen photos of such problems. It would be very interesting to see more detailed photos.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

CarolinaKat
New Shotgunner
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:46 am

Re: MIM extractor crack

Post by CarolinaKat » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Vitaly wrote:I've heard about problems with MIM-extractor but have never seen photos of such problems. It would be very interesting to see more detailed photos.
Synchronizor wrote:Hmm, maybe it just got handled roughly during manufacturing or installation. I would suggest sticking with the replacement extractor just to be on the safe side, but I would be interested in figuring out exactly what's going on with it. Remington's MIM parts are generally very good; I've never even seen a picture of a broken MIM extractor before.

Is there any way you can upload some close-up images?
IMG_1164.JPG
IMG_1164.JPG (490.57 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
IMG_1165.JPG
IMG_1165.JPG (506.76 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
I cleaned it up a bit by lightly polishing it. These photos are about the best I can do. I put it in a vise and used my Iphone. It looks like the mark extends around the top side of the tip. I hadn't noticed that before. As far as I know, this is the original extractor from a 1995 manufactured 870 magnum (Special Purpose).

Dan

Millstone
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: MIM extractor crack

Post by Millstone » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:34 pm

I just purchased a brand new Wingmaster 12 gauge. Do the new guns have a MIM extractor or non-MIM? If it's a MIM should I replace it before I have problems?

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: MIM extractor crack

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:20 pm

CarolinaKat wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:12 pm
I cleaned it up a bit by lightly polishing it. These photos are about the best I can do. I put it in a vise and used my Iphone. It looks like the mark extends around the top side of the tip. I hadn't noticed that before. As far as I know, this is the original extractor from a 1995 manufactured 870 magnum (Special Purpose).
That doesn't look like a crack from wear or damage to me, it looks like a manufacturing defect. Like perhaps the part was dropped or banged into something when it was still green.
Millstone wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:34 pm
I just purchased a brand new Wingmaster 12 gauge. Do the new guns have a MIM extractor or non-MIM? If it's a MIM should I replace it before I have problems?
Newer Wingmasters have MIM extractors. You can replace it if it makes you feel better, it's not an expensive part, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you're actually seeing extraction issues that could be blamed on the extractor, like the claw slipping off of shell rims. Defects can happen, but most of the time MIM extractors work just as well as machined ones. Machined extractors aren't immune to defects or damage either, keep in mind.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests