trigger weight

Remington 870 Repair and Gunsmithing.
novaz
Shotgunner

trigger weight

Post by novaz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:59 pm

I recently saw a video on you tube where the trigger sear spring was changed for a spring used in a ball point pen is this safe
I would imagine that those springs are not tempered or have a set poundage
most of my guns have lighter trigger pulls so is this feasible modification does anyone make a lighter spring made specifically for this .
Thanks

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: trigger weight

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:09 am

Remington offers a lightweight sear spring. It's yellow-colored, and supposed to give a ~3-lb pull.

Don't try using a spring from a pen. 870 sear springs are shorter and larger in diameter than typical pen springs. A spring that's the wrong length and/or too narrow will be prone to slipping off, in which case there will be no pressure between the connectors and the sear. That constant spring pressure is extremely critical; with it, the 870's trigger mechanism is drop-safe and very reliable, but without it, the mechanism can go off or disconnect itself if the gun is dropped or jarred.

CJP

Re: trigger weight

Post by CJP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:49 am

Mcarbo makes a replacement sear spring. There is another place online that you can purchase their brand of springs but the name escapes me at the moment. They make sear springs for Rem. rifle trigger groups also.
NRA Life Member