new member in texas just got myself a remington 870 tactical

Welcome to the forum! Please introduce yourself.
BigBird73
Enthusiast Shotgunner

new member in texas just got myself a remington 870 tactical

Post by BigBird73 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi everyone.. I love my new 870.. any advice on what comes stock on one should be replaced?
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
- Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: new member in texas just got myself a remington 870 tact

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:00 am

If your 870 came with a stock that has the solid, rubber buttpad, I would definitely replace that with a higher-end pad like the excellent SuperCell from Remington. For around $20 or $25, it's a night-and-day difference in terms of shooting comfort.

There are a number of other things that people commonly replace, but I wouldn't consider them required upgrades unless you're having problems with the stock part. Pretty much everything on a factory 870 will do its job, so most upgrades are a matter of personal taste, or intended to add functionality (or just satisfy a need to tinker with it, which is fun too).

> Many folks upgrade the magazine follower. The stock follower works fine, but an aftermarket one can be more durable, move more smoothly, and make it easier to see and feel when the magazine is empty.

> A lot of people change the stock and fore-end. The basic stocks work just fine, but some folks feel an aftermarket one looks or fits better; or they want to be able to fold it up, or mount lights or other accessories on it.

> People often upgrade the carrier dog follower spring with the heavier spring used in Police models, believing this will give the carrier a stronger "lift". The spring doesn't actually lift the carrier up, it just holds it in position and ensures that other parts engage properly. So in that sense, it will make functioning a little more positive, but it'll also make the carrier stiffer to push aside for loading, and require a tiny bit more force to work the action.

> Another common upgrade is replacing the MIM follower with a forged one, which has better tolerances. I still have a MIM extractor in my gun, and it works great, but if you're having extraction or ejection issues (and you're not working the pump like it's made of glass) the higher-end part may improve things.

> Finally, aftermarket safetys with larger, easier-to-hit buttons are pretty popular. If you feel awkward hitting your safety quickly from a shooting grip, one of these might feel better, but it'll also be a little easier to hit on accident.

BigBird73
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by BigBird73 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:19 am

Thanks for the info synchronizor. Hope I spelled your name right..lol I added you to my freinds list. hope thats ok. I wanna get involved and learn I grew up arounds guns and had my most enjoyable times afield with a shotgun in my hand.. my father always owned Browning auto-5s.. and thats what I learned to hunt on but I have always known about the quality and reliablity of the 870.. and I LOOOVE MY 870 tactical! Any time you see or hear something I should know about inexspensive upgrades or info I should read let me know about it! I don't make ALOT ofmoney but I can swing something here and there... My soon to be wife's uncle sold me the 870 a shoulder strap a sidesaddle a full bandoleer/ier? a bushnell red dot sight a soft case a full box of remington 2 3/4 slugs 6 reduced recoil home defense rounds and it has a aftermarket heat shield I think it is called goes over te receiver down to the barrel all for... 250.00$!
- Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:01 am

If you're looking for upgrades or accessories, check through these forums and Vitaly's blog for ideas. 870s work fine out of the box, so unless you're having problems with it, it's up to you to decide what you would like to add.

BigBird73
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by BigBird73 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:36 pm

ok.. I have been looking and seen some things like followers ect.. what are your thoughts on those? thanks for your time and info by the way..
- Thomas Jefferson

BigBird73
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by BigBird73 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:00 pm

Here she is
Attachments
my%20870%20for%20the%20forum.jpg
Thought I might show yall my new HD gun
my%20870%20for%20the%20forum.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
- Thomas Jefferson

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:28 am

You got a good deal for $250, must have been a welcome to the family sale ;) The device on the muzzle is a breaching standoff, popular for entry weapons for blowing locks and hinges. The 'strap' is usually referred to as a sling and it appears that you also got a good quality QD mount and sling. The optics and mounts will make target acquisition faster and easier, too. I would imagine that other parts have also been upgraded. I'd talk to the seller and see what he can tell you. Enjoy and be safe.
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.

BigBird73
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by BigBird73 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for your time and info. I am new to the forum and new to owning a pump shotgun. I haven't really owned or messed around with a firearm since my father passed.. he was my shooting and hunting buddy ect.. feels good to do something I love again.. although did make me a little sad at first when I went to the range we used to goto this last weekend.. but I was introducing my two new brother in laws to be to the range and rules ect.. they both had a couple 22 LRs they had never shot and I sighted the scoped one in for them ect.. was fun.. now if I can just get em to get a 870! lol
- Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:28 pm

BigBird73 wrote:ok.. I have been looking and seen some things like followers ect.. what are your thoughts on those? thanks for your time and info by the way..
The stock follower works well enough (I believe Remington uses the same part in their Police and military 870s), but some people like to change it out with one that is more durable, or to make it easier to tell by touch when the magazine is empty.

Personally, I think the best followers on the market are the high-visibility Delrin followers from S&J Hardware. They're made of a very cool acetal resin which is very tough, slippery, and chemically stable. Shipping from Canada is a little spendy, but you can often find them in "buy it now" postings on Ebay with less expensive (or free) shipping. Other followers tend to be made from lower-quality plastics, or from metal, which has more friction and can corrode. There are a ton of metal follower options if you're the type who flat-out hates synthetics, though.

There's a lengthy thread on followers here.