Survival Situations

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
DarwinsFlinch
Shotgunner

Survival Situations

Post by DarwinsFlinch » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Has anyone experimented with using the hollow butt of Hogue stocks for survival gear that might be needed if you were to become lost/incapacitated while hunting. A cursory look shows that there is adequate space for some nice essentials, but it seems that a mod to the butt pad for quicker/repeated removal of the screws to avoid fracture or wear to the plastic threads within the stock might be in order.

Rick
Have faith in humanity, but keep your finger close to the trigger.

x-caliber
Shotgunner

Re: Survival Situations

Post by x-caliber » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:03 am

some matches and tender would fit nicely, the thing with true survival is you only really need warmth, water, and food to survive until you are found or make it out. shelter would be nice, but not required if you have warmth for a short period. matches will give you a fire for warmth and allow you to cook your kill. lighters even the disposable nonrefillable ones will evaporate/leak the fluid out over a couple of years so I would stick with matches unless you plan on checking it every so often.

a compass will help you find your way out, even if you are lost, it will keep you headed on a straight course so you dont end up walking in circles. a thin poncho or one of those aluminum blankets might be nice if it would fit.

A first aid kit is always nice to have along as well. maybe a small signal mirror.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:54 am

I've thought about doing that with the similarly hollow synthetic stock I have for my shotgun. I believe the military M16A2 rifles have a buttstock storage compartment, so you could look there for some ideas.

I wouldn't be too worried about wearing out the receiving threads for the screws. I switch stocks all the time, and mine doesn't seem to be wearing out. If you're tucking this stuff away in case of emergencies, it doesn't sound like you'll need to be accessing it all that often anyway.

An important consideration would be securing it inside so it's not flying all over the place as you handle or shoot the gun. If nothing else, you could try putting everything in a baggie and wrapping it in some soft foam that could be compressed into the space.

If you make a project out of this, post pictures!

DarwinsFlinch
Shotgunner

Post by DarwinsFlinch » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:32 am

Not as worried about the receiver threads as I am the butt pad to stock threads as they are plastic. I will absolutely wrap anything that goes into the stock which should have the added benefit of deadening the hollow "thunking" that can happen when it taps against something. Pics promised if/when I move forward.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:39 am

I wasn't talking about the receiver, I was talking about the threads in the back of the stock that receive the buttplate/recoil pad screws.

My plastic stock isn't a Hogue, but I take my shotgun apart and rebuild it quite often, and haven't had any problems with it yet.

rythomas0704
Valued Shotgunner

Post by rythomas0704 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:01 am

I really like this idea. I spend a lot of time in the wild hunting and camping and everytime I go out (unless wife and kids come along) I do it with the absolute bare essentials, usually less. I don't even bring matches or a lighter. I use my fire steel to start every fire and NEVER bring food and only enough water to survive until I find a water source. Usually my older Mossberg comes with along with my .22 but my Mossy will be replaced with my 870 once I finish the build.

I think its a great idea and would love to read/see more. :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
- George Orwell

DarwinsFlinch
Shotgunner

Post by DarwinsFlinch » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:01 am

My bad on the reading skills, Synch. My attention was split between here and the Maryland hearing for SB281.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 am

DarwinsFlinch wrote:My bad on the reading skills, Synch. My attention was split between here and the Maryland hearing for SB281.
Can't blame you for that. I skimmed the thing, and it's not pretty. At least they seem to be skipping rimfire rifles, and allowing you 3 more rounds then NY.

I have to admit though, I had to laugh sadly at "assault pistols" and "assault shotguns"...

DarwinsFlinch
Shotgunner

Post by DarwinsFlinch » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:32 am

So. I think I will take this on and see what I can put together, but I'll need to wait a week for my new stock to get here (12" LOP) so I am sure of the space available.

(The legislative hearing was a complete farce. It was painful to listen.)