What Choke is This?

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

What Choke is This?

Post by Scorpion8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:12 am

My 870 28" ventilated rib barrel came with one choke, unknown to the previous owner. The only (yes, ONLY) identifying marks seems to be these three etched marks on one edge. I don't think they are shot streaks, because they are perfectly spaced and there are no similar marks on other edges. Any help?

Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

John A.
Super Shotgunner

Re: What Choke is This?

Post by John A. » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:21 pm

If you have a digital caliper that you can measure the opening hole, that's the best way of determining the choke.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you have ignorant gun laws.
-John A.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Thanks, I thought there was a "choke guide" that had the markings explained. Do those look unusual to you or am I mistaken in thinking they are ID markings?

Found it. Is this valid?

REMINGTON SPARTAN (SPR) NOTCH CODES 
Choke Type
  Identification (Notches)
Full Choke:   I notch
Improved Modified:   II notches
Modified:   III notches
Improved Cylinder:   IIII notches
Cylinder:   CI

https://trulockchokes.com/choke_identif ... _tool.html
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:27 am

Notches (if present) can help you identify a tube, but the systems vary between manufacturers. That tube in the picture doesn't look like a Rem Choke tube to me, it seems too short & stubby. Your barrel may have been threaded for a different choke system.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:13 am

Oddly, the 28" "fowl" style VR barrel I have isn't marked Remington. It does say "Target Sports Tactical" on one side. It appears to be this one (https://www.targetsportsusa.com/rem-870 ... 43763.aspx) and the seller must have meant "for Remington 870" not "[i]by Remington[/i]". Seems like the GB labeling was slightly off, a simple <snort> error. Ahhhh, the story continues.....

So, does Target Sports have chokes? Hmmmmm, mine looks close to this (https://www.targetsportsusa.com/mos-12g ... 39722.aspx) but that's a Mossberg choke. Oh, and Target Sports isn't listed on TruLockChokes interchange list.....

From the experienced crowds, any thoughts?

ETA: My choke is exactly 1.5" long. Seems to be a Mossberg Accu-choke / Winchester Win-choke compatible, altho' I just checked our local place didn't have a commercial one to buy and test.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:44 pm

I don't have anything but Rem Chokes to measure, personally. Maybe you can track down dimension & thread info for other choke systems online and identify it that way. Hopefully it's not some weird Chinese choke style that's impossible to find. Then you could be looking at some gunsmith work to re-thread the barrel (which might also require shortening it slightly).

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:45 am

Well, the easier if not timely method in my remote lifestyle in paradise, is to order a couple of Mossberg AccuChokes from MidwayUSA (Modified Improved and Skeet) and see if they fit. If not, they go back and I've learned something for the sum cost of shipping. If they fit, I'm golden and I've also learned something. The goal in life is to always be learning, but the smart way, not the hard way. :lol:
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Issues solved by the old fashion method of parts swapping to find what fits. The Target Sports-branded Remington barrels use Mossberg-style chokes similar to Win-Browning-Mossberg-Weatherby. Here's the new choke (silver, left) versus the choke that came with the barrel (blued, right).

Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life