New Guy Here With Some Questions

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
Z7What

New Guy Here With Some Questions

Post by Z7What » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:48 am

A couple years ago I bought a Rem 870 Express 28" with Synthetic Stock which has a Mod Choke Installed from the factory. I had only shot it about dozen times at skeet using 2-3/4" 7-8 shot. This past week I was invited to go on a duck hunt and it was suggested I get some 4 shot. It just so happen that I had some 2-3/4" 4 shot so that's what I brought. Shot my first duck, a Male Green Wing Teal. Well I just got invited to another friends lease, he suggested because we will be going after geese to get some 3" BBB shot, went today and all walmart had was 3" BB shot so that's what I bought. Since im new to shot guns and bird hunting I just want to confirm that the 3" BB shot will be safe to shoot out of the 870 with the Mod choke.

I ordered a Uncle Mikes Cap Set #18002 so I can add a sling to it. Are there any other mods that makes the 870 a little better?

Thank Wayne
Remington 870 Express 28" Synthetic Stock
Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .270 With Ziess 3X9-40 Scope
Ruger 10/22 Carbine With Pentax 4X16-50 Scope
Ruger SR22 .22LR Pistol
Glock 22 40S&W With Adjustable Sights
Glock 43 9MM

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: New Guy Here With Some Questions

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:27 am

Birdshot sizes explained (video)

I'm assuming this is steel BB shot, factory lead BB loads are pretty rare these days. Chokes are more sensitive to shot material than they are to shot size. You should make sure your choke tube is rated for steel shot. If it isn't explicitly printed on the tube, but it's a fairly recent-manufacture flush tube, it should be able to handle steel. If it says "lead only", don't shoot steel in it.

Also, be aware that steel patterns much differently than lead. A constriction that produces a modified pattern with lead shot will likely do something completely different with steel. You should pattern-test your shells before you use them for hunting.

Z7What

Post by Z7What » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:58 am

Synchronizor wrote:Birdshot sizes explained (video)

I'm assuming this is steel BB shot, factory lead BB loads are pretty rare these days. Chokes are more sensitive to shot material than they are to shot size. You should make sure your choke tube is rated for steel shot. If it isn't explicitly printed on the tube, but it's a fairly recent-manufacture flush tube, it should be able to handle steel. If it says "lead only", don't shoot steel in it.

Also, be aware that steel patterns much differently than lead. A constriction that produces a modified pattern with lead shot will likely do something completely different with steel. You should pattern-test your shells before you use them for hunting.
Yes the BB shot is steel. I didn't get a chance to look at the choke today but the other day when I pulled it out to see what choke it was I never noticed it saying "lead only".

I bought it I guess about 2-3 years ago if that matters. I personally cant see a hunting shotgun being sold with a choke that is labeled "lead only" because when hunting ducks you can only use steel.

Wayne
Remington 870 Express 28" Synthetic Stock
Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .270 With Ziess 3X9-40 Scope
Ruger 10/22 Carbine With Pentax 4X16-50 Scope
Ruger SR22 .22LR Pistol
Glock 22 40S&W With Adjustable Sights
Glock 43 9MM

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:17 am

It's more an issue with Full or tighter chokes. Steel-rated Full chokes are made from stronger materials than lead-only Full tubes in order to handle the punishment (and even some steel-rated Full tubes should not be used with very large shot sizes or very fast loads). Chokes tighter than Full are usually intended for things like turkey hunting rather than waterfowling, and are only rated for use with lead shot. Most Modified tubes you see these days are rated for steel shot, so unless yours is specifically marked "lead only", you're probably fine to shoot steel.

Also, there are plenty of other nontoxic shot types that are easier on chokes than steel, not to mention denser and better-performing. Steel's advantage is that it's (relatively) cheap. That's about it.