rifled choke tube - yes/no

Discussion of the Remington 870 for hunting.
bangplop
New Shotgunner

rifled choke tube - yes/no

Post by bangplop » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:30 am

I was wondering if anyone had used a rifled choke tube and how was it performing. does it do any good with standard slugs or sabot slugs. I am guessing sabots don't work very well.

Vitaly
Owner

Re: rifled choke tube - yes/no

Post by Vitaly » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:46 pm

bangplop wrote:I was wondering if anyone had used a rifled choke tube and how was it performing. does it do any good with standard slugs or sabot slugs. I am guessing sabots don't work very well.
I have ordered it long time ago and plan to test it soon.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:23 am

I have a rifled choke tube that was thrown in with a barrel I purchased, but I've never gotten around to shooting anything through it. I don't expect just an inch or two of rifling to do much to any type of slug, especially considering their mass and wildly-varying dimensions.
Rifled Choke Tube_small.JPG
Rifled Choke Tube_small.JPG (48.72 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
However, rifled choke tubes can also be used with shot to produce a very wide (if sometimes inconsistent) pattern. The helical rifling imparts spin on the wad and/or some of the shot column, making it spread more rapidly when it leaves the barrel. Some rifled chokes are specifically marketed for this, and called diffusion chokes.

Other rifled chokes are designed to have the opposite effect on shot, and instead of helical rifling, use straight rifling to try to cancel any spin the shot or projectile may have.
Rifled Choke Tube-straight.JPG
Rifled Choke Tube-straight.JPG (89.95 KiB) Viewed 8698 times

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:49 am

However, rifled choke tubes can also be used with shot to produce a very wide (if sometimes inconsistent) pattern. The helical rifling imparts spin on the wad and/or some of the shot column, making it spread more rapidly when it leaves the barrel. Some rifled chokes are specifically marketed for this, and called diffusion chokes.
Thanks, I didn't know that!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

BlueSmoke
Shotgunner

Post by BlueSmoke » Sun May 11, 2014 1:36 am

No ........ to the rifled choke tube.

If you want rifling go all in and get a rifled barrel.

Breneke KO slugs and Federal Truball slugs work great in a smooth bore barrel.

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Sun May 11, 2014 2:57 am

BlueSmoke wrote:No ........ to the rifled choke tube.

If you want rifling go all in and get a rifled barrel.

Breneke KO slugs and Federal Truball slugs work great in a smooth bore barrel.
Yup, that's been my experience, too.
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.

shootall
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by shootall » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:25 pm

I have the extended rifle tube and the flush rifled tube. I only have used sabot slugs. Both work out to 100 yards well enough to take deer. I don't know why but the flush tube shoots a tighter group. About 4 inches at 100 yards with slugs it likes. The extended hoover around 6 inches and so far no one slug stands out . At what slugs cost now and the fact that most deer I shoot are under 50 yards or less I will use the straight rifled tube and foster slugs that is a very good combo. It also works nice with buckshot. That was with a 12 ga. For the 20 ga. I have an extended Carson rifled tube and it works about as well as the flush Remington tube it is also ammo sensitive.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:12 pm

What sabot slugs do you use with the rifled tubes?

shootall
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by shootall » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:13 pm

Mostly Lightfield 1 1/4 oz sabot slugs with the 12 ga. . Our shots are under 75 yards or less so the big slug anchors them. With the 20 ga. and a Carlson tube I use Remington sabot slugs but it shoots Foster slugs ok to 50 yards . The tube is made to shoot both which I doubted but it works in a pinch. In both cases the chambers are 3 inch and 3 inch shells seem to shoot better. I have tried several other brands and to be honest none were dogs and would kill deer at the ranges I see them. When I sit in fields I use a Savage 210 for longer shots but in the thick stuff the 870 is faster and better .