How to load for home defense

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Re: How to load for home defense

Post by Zebra62 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Zebra62 wrote:Ye olde A5 is waiting on the sidelines with 3 1/2 magnum 000.
Ouch. I thought your A-5 was a 1950s model though, and 3.5" 12ga shells weren't introduced until 1988. Can your old A-5 handle those things?
Ouch indeed.

Dad had some work done on it to be able to chamber the 3 1/2 magnums. When he dropped it off to me, he had 3 full boxes worth of 3 1/2 magnum 000 reloads. He said he got them from the same gunsmith who did the rechambering work. I have put a few of them (very few) downrange and they do hurt. The shotgun cycles fine, but these big rounds may be where the cracked forend comes from. Also, I can only get three of these rounds in the magazine.

All the other shells he brought were 2 3/4, mostly #7, some #4 and about 50 rounds of 00.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

keith44
Shotgunner

Post by keith44 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:13 pm

I keep mine loaded a bit differently than what's posted here. Now since I am the only one in the house this works, but if there was ever someone else here it would need to be changed. Also this is legal where I live (just to save that discussion)

I keep it fully loaded, and a round partly in the chamber. I say partly because I put the round in the chamber, close the action, load the magazine, then pull the bolt out of battery so that the round is partly chambered, the hammer is blocked by the bolt carrier, but the safety is off.

I am not worried about dust gumming up the action, it does not sit that much.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:58 pm

keith44 wrote:I keep it fully loaded, and a round partly in the chamber. I say partly because I put the round in the chamber, close the action, load the magazine, then pull the bolt out of battery so that the round is partly chambered, the hammer is blocked by the bolt carrier, but the safety is off.
Another (relatively) safe way to keep an 870 with a round chambered is to load the magazine, open the action all the way (pressing the rearmost shell in the magazine past the forward shell latch at the same time to keep it from feeding), slide another shell directly into the chamber, and then manually raise the shell carrier. The tip of the shell carrier will keep the shell from sliding out of the chamber no matter how the gun is oriented, but the firing pin is nowhere near the chambered shell, so even an inertial strike is impossible. If the gun needs to be deployed, all you have to do is slide the action closed as you pick it up and flick the safety off (unless you kept it off, but I wouldn't advise that). With the shell fully chambered and the carrier already elevated, closing the action takes so little force that you can reliably close it one-handed by simply picking the gun up by its grip and jerking it forward & back sharply. The gun can also be disabled in this state by attaching a fore-end block device, or by passing a cable-style gun lock or a long-shackle padlock through the ejection port, under the elevated carrier, and out the loading port (see this video for a demonstration). Running the cable or shackle through in this direction reduces the likelihood of snags or hang-ups if the lock needs to be pulled out in a hurry.

This is the safest, most Murphy-proof method I'm currently aware of for storing an 870 with a loaded chamber. I'll be demonstrating this technique at some point in a future video, but I can post some pictures here if folks would find it helpful.

pump-it-up
New Shotgunner

Post by pump-it-up » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:21 am

All four of mine are Cruiser safe with TAP 00 Buck.
Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

jough
Shotgunner

Post by jough » Sat May 10, 2014 3:09 pm

My HD is 7 in the mag, 1 in the chamber, safety ON, 7 on sidesaddle. Right now I have some Rio 00 2-3/4" 9 pellet Buck @ 1345fps.

My dad has his with mag full, safety OFF, and a round half chambered.

SignessSG
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by SignessSG » Sat May 10, 2014 9:25 pm

I live with my daughter, so my handguns are locked away when I'm not home, fully loaded in a Fort Knox pistol box bolted to the floor next to my bed. When I'm away, the 870 is empty and parked in my room with ammo locked away. When I'm home, I wear a Sig P220 Carry single-action only .45 ACP on my belt, condition 1, and the shotgun gets loaded with whatever 2-3/4" 00 buck I can get my hands on..currently Hornady Critical Defense. 7 rounds in the magazine, chamber empty, safety on. When in bed, the shotgun is nearby, either my Sig .45 is cocked and locked on my night stand, or sometimes I opt for the Ruger GP100 .357 magnum.
Remington 870 Police Magnum 12 Gauge
Sig Sauer P220 Carry SAS SAO .45 ACP
Sig Sauer P938 9mm
Belgian Browning HiPower 9mm
Ruger GP100 Stainless .357 Magnum 4"
Smith & Wesson Model 36 .38 Special

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Hey there SignessSG: I concur. When I'm at home I almost always pocket-carry a J-frame .38 revolver (no kids), put it under my clothes while I'm in the shower, etc. or actually go around the house with an OWB horse-hide holster and a Ruger Speed Six .357 loaded with 158gr. .38 +P LSWCHPs. The gun actually on you is more important than any other, in my view. I do keep the 870 cruiser ready, that is for sure.

I also do the "nightstand" gun, but these tend to be my wife's choices so I am assured she can operate them if awaken from blissful slumber by some kind of alarming situation.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

coamille

Post by coamille » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:55 am

If a gun is unloaded its useless. If the Chamber is not loaded the gun is unloaded.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:19 pm

An unloaded gun is a club. Clubs have uses. Hence, and unloaded gun is not altogether useless even if it cannot be used as a firearm. Practice for ECQB friends. ;)
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

72Cheyenne
Shotgunner

Post by 72Cheyenne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:28 pm

Locked and loaded. Winchester Military grad 00 buck. Mesa Tactical 4 shot side saddle.