How to load for home defense

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
tekrsq
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Re: How to load for home defense

Post by tekrsq » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:55 am

Kentactic wrote:I dont intend to reopen this debate. Everyones different. But i keep mine with a full tube with a round chambered and safety ON.
Yep, me too.

woodstock
New Shotgunner

Post by woodstock » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Kentactic wrote:I dont intend to reopen this debate. Everyones different. But i keep mine with a full tube with a round chambered and safety ON.
Me too, but I live alone, and door locked if I have visitors.
If anyone else lives in the house you may need to think differently.

Dr. Marneaus
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Dr. Marneaus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:08 am

Shotgun isnt primary defense weapon for me. Pistol is.

Shotgun resides in the safe, 6 rounds in the tube, empty chamber, safety on. If I need to go for the 12gauge, needing to rack the slide isn't going to make a difference.

Kentactic
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Kentactic » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:45 am

Edited for courtesy.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:56 am

Kentactic wrote:Edited for courtesy.
Handguns don't have the stopping power of shotguns or rifles, but they have a ton of other obvious advantages. The way I see it, a handgun and a long gun are complementary parts of a good HD battery. Given warning, I'd prefer to respond to threats with my 870 in many situations, but it's not always the best tool for the job. If I need to move through a building, answer the front door in the middle of the night, or respond as quickly as possible to someone suddenly kicking down the door 10 feet from where I'm sleeping, my Glock is the first thing I'm reaching for.

tekrsq
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by tekrsq » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:39 am

Synchronizor wrote:
Kentactic wrote:Edited for courtesy.
Handguns don't have the stopping power of shotguns or rifles, but they have a ton of other obvious advantages. The way I see it, a handgun and a long gun are complementary parts of a good HD battery. Given warning, I'd prefer to respond to threats with my 870 in many situations, but it's not always the best tool for the job. If I need to move through a building, answer the front door in the middle of the night, or respond as quickly as possible to someone suddenly kicking down the door 10 feet from where I'm sleeping, my Glock is the first thing I'm reaching for.
Agreed !!!

Mister_Remington
Shotgunner

Post by Mister_Remington » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:59 am

Chamber loaded, full magazine, safety on. I have five rounds of double ought buck in the magazine and the round in the chamber is birdshot. First shot is birdshot, the rest are buckshot. For those doubting birdshot as good for defense inside of 20 feet, watch this Gunblast video, the shot stays very closely grouped then penetrates clothing, chest, ribs, muscle, and then at least 4 inches into a thick chunk of beef:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3RVvL9ZjU

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:56 am

Some birdshot loads can be effective, but buckshot is still best. If you're shooting to kill anyway, why pull your punches? Might as well open with your A-game.

Zebra62
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Zebra62 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:20 pm

We keep our 870's cruiser ready loaded with 2 3/4 00. Ye olde A5 is waiting on the sidelines with 3 1/2 magnum 000.
The REAL definition of GUN CONTROL - The ability to keep your sights on your target.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Zebra62 wrote:Ye olde A5 is waiting on the sidelines with 3 1/2 magnum 000.
Ouch. I thought your A-5 was a 1950s model though, and 3.5" 12ga shells weren't introduced until 1988. Can your old A-5 handle those things?