Shortening length of pull for self defense use

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
JamesH49

Shortening length of pull for self defense use

Post by JamesH49 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:50 pm

I have an old 16ga 870 that has been converted to home defense use (18 1/2 inch barrel, extended magazine and a light attachment). Stock length of pull is around 14 inches and is good for field use but maybe a little long for home defense. I would like to add a recoil pad about a 1/2 inch thick so I think length of pull should be 13 1/2 inches for ease of movement. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Re: Shortening length of pull for self defense use

Post by ChillyB » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:06 am

I would get some Express lumber before cutting vintage wood.

For HD I don't think I'd desire for LOP shorter that what fits in the field. If you thought you'd want a shorter stock for use with a plate carrier or very heavy winter jackets then I can see it. For my HD I figure on being in a t-shirt and boxer briefs, and also realize I'll be too jacked on adrenalin to feel recoil.

Scorpion8
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Scorpion8 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:20 pm

JamesH49 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:50 pm
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Or you could look for a 12-ga "youth" stock that would be shorter. Make sure you get the stock bolt with it because that will change length also.
Imperious Moderatus
Retired USN
NRA Life ; NAHC Life
Pain heals, chicks dig scars.....glory -- lasts forever!

Blackrock
Shotgunner

Post by Blackrock » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:09 pm

To Piggy Back on Scorpion8. Many police departments have purchased youth stocks.

gWebber
Senior Shotgunner

Post by gWebber » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:04 am

JamesH49 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:50 pm
I have an old 16ga 870 that has been converted to home defense use (18 1/2 inch barrel, extended magazine and a light attachment). Stock length of pull is around 14 inches and is good for field use but maybe a little long for home defense. I would like to add a recoil pad about a 1/2 inch thick so I think length of pull should be 13 1/2 inches for ease of movement. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I’m in a similar situation, where I’d like to try a shorter stock.
BUT ! As others have mentioned, I wouldn’t cut the original wood especially with mine being a nice wingmaster stock.

It’s easy to cut wood short, but not so easy to make it long or original again.

So a youth stock or something like a Magpul (my choice) that’s already adjustable would be a better choice

Blackrock
Shotgunner

Post by Blackrock » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:55 pm

Paul Castle developed a compressed shooting mount for the shotgun. The system is named Center Axis Relock. In addition there are other positions you might consider.

Good Luck

Roc