How many to have in the magazine tube while stored

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
kilrain

Re: How many to have in the magazine tube while stored

Post by kilrain » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:52 pm

I keep the magazine fully loaded, as it was designed to be that way. My anecdotal basis for this is 25 years in LE(got about 5 years left) carrying/having an 870 pretty much every day, whether it was my personal gun or the gun issued to a car. I've seen several things fail on 870s over the years including ejectors, front sight base(not the bead, the soldered on base popped off) and stocks among a few. I've never seen a magazine spring lose enough tension to fail.

Like all things mechanical, I'm sure it's a possibility, however life is a crap shoot and you have to play the odds, odds are it isn't an issue in my experience. Good luck and stay safe.

Richard Sveum
New Shotgunner

Post by Richard Sveum » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:39 am

Same here. 20 years in and have never seen a tube spring fail. Been shooting 870's since 1985.

USAF Shooter
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by USAF Shooter » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:47 am

I have a Nordic +3 mag extension on my 870, and I keep 7 rds in my gun at all times, plus the 6 in my sidesaddle. I like to be prepared. I change out my spring every 2 years just to be safe.
Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...

ChillyB
Super Shotgunner

Post by ChillyB » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:52 am

Stuffed full, empty chamber.