Legal homemade version of Remington TAC14 or Mossberg Shockwave

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
weezulguy

Legal homemade version of Remington TAC14 or Mossberg Shockwave

Post by weezulguy » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:45 am

Hello to everyone, I have been scouring the Internet and this site for info on modifying a Remington 870 for a home build, and am curious as to one thing. I apologize if this has already been covered on this site, I tried my best to search the topic out, but I keep coming up blank on here and Youtube. Is there anything preventing someone at this point from re-creating a Mossberg 590 Shockwave or Remington TAC14 build on their own? I'm curious as to why I would need a tax stamp if they are listed as non-NFA items that are for consumer purchase now. Thanks for any input, appreciate all of the info the Synchronizer has provided here and elsewhere as well!

jakebrake
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Legal homemade version of Remington TAC14 or Mossberg Shockwave

Post by jakebrake » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:13 pm

legally, no, You can't.

why? a shockwave, or a tac 14 never had a shoulder stock orignally mounted to it.

IF (and, I'm capitalizing for emphasis) You had a receiver that was brand new, and NEVER had a stock attached to it, then, Yes.... it'd fly...right up until the brace issue comes up on the fed's radar, and, they decide we lowly proles aren't worthy.

don't be a test case, please. (and, by that, I mean, don't be the guy that does it, gets caught, and, ends up losing far too much over a stupid .gov loophole)

weezulguy

Re: Legal homemade version of Remington TAC14 or Mossberg Shockwave

Post by weezulguy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:00 am

Took your advice, 18.5 inches on the dot!