Magazine Extensions: My Thoughts

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Spunk Puppy

Magazine Extensions: My Thoughts

Post by Spunk Puppy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:12 am

Disclaimer: The following are my thoughts and opinions only. I do not try to force them on anyone else, I just like to share my reasoning behind them. This is just to start a discussion and put some stuff out there, that's all.

I have a Remington 870 Police that I keep for home defense. I played around with extended magazines but have since gone back to the standard tube. It has a number of advantages. Granted you loose 1-2 shells but from my research, defensive shotgun fights that require more than 1-3 shells are incredibly rare. Tom Givens posted an article on something to this affect a while back IIRC.

The advantages of a stock (4 round) tube:

1) It's as reliable and simple as it gets. No multi-junction extensions to ensure are fitted together properly, no barrel clamps or braces to change point of impact with slugs, just a straight tube to cleanly feed shells into the action. Also simplifies field stripping and cleaning.

2) Increased durability over extensions. I have read of extended mag tubes, especially those without a brace, breaking off at the threads. One alarming report regarded a police officer who responded to a bank robbery. He grabbed his 870 out of his cruiser, smacked the extension in the process, and his magazine tube came apart spraying shells everywhere. Not good. Also almost the entire magazine tube is protected from dents that can impede feeding vs the much greater exposed surface area of an extension.

3) Maneuverability is enhanced. For me, the difference in a stock tube vs an extended tube is dramatic when transitioning from targets and when holding up the shotgun for extended periods of time. A person may need to hold the shotgun unsupported on a door or live subject for quite a while. The standard 4 round tube keeps the balance of the gun between the hands, reducing fatigue. Those extensions put weight at the worst possible point on the gun, the end of the barrel.

4) One handed operation and reloading. Tying in with maneuverability benefits, ditching the extension can make it easier to manipulate objects such as cell phones or medical supplies with the off hand while still holding the gun with the strong hand. It also better allows the gun to be trained downrange during reloading from a sidesaddle or magazine pouch.

In the end, it doesn't matter how big and strong you are, the standard 4 shot tube makes it easier to handle the gun and you might not be the only person in the household who might need to use it at any given time. Research and past experience tell us the capacity is statistically more than enough for the vast majority of defensive scenarios. A backup gun, often in the form of a pistol or revolver, is always a good idea no matter what you weapon's magazine capacity. Also learning to reload from a sidesaddle or other on-gun ammunition storage system is very important. Keeping the gun topped off is a great skill with the tube-fed shotgun, no matter how many shells it will accept.

So that's my reasoning for keeping my house gun extension free. Just thought I'd point out some reasons for doing this that I think are often overlooked. Try it sometime, you might really like it! :)

-Spunk Puppy

killingjoke
Shotgunner

Re: Magazine Extensions: My Thoughts

Post by killingjoke » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:43 am

Thank you on very good info, Made rethink of installing an extension.

USAF Shooter
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by USAF Shooter » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:06 am

Some very persuasive info and thouhgts, and to some degree I agree. In my opinion however, i'm sticking with a +2 magazine extension (Remington).
Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...

ShotgunSam870
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by ShotgunSam870 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Agreed.
My 870 Police came with the 4+1 mag tube, and I was astonished at how much better it handled and felt to fire. It really made me rethink putting an extension tube on it. I did however, buy Remington +2 extension, to which has been sitting in the box it came, and is still unused.
Also, just bought a 1981 Wingmaster; she isn't getting an extension either.
Not against them, but feel with sufficient training and practice, the standard tube suffices no problem.
“Civil Wars happen when the victimized are armed. Genocide happens when they are not.”
― A.E. Samaan

Germansheperd
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Germansheperd » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Spunk Puppy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:12 am
Disclaimer: The following are my thoughts and opinions only. I do not try to force them on anyone else, I just like to share my reasoning behind them. This is just to start a discussion and put some stuff out there, that's all.

I have a Remington 870 Police that I keep for home defense. I played around with extended magazines but have since gone back to the standard tube. It has a number of advantages. Granted you loose 1-2 shells but from my research, defensive shotgun fights that require more than 1-3 shells are incredibly rare. Tom Givens posted an article on something to this affect a while back IIRC.

The advantages of a stock (4 round) tube:

1) It's as reliable and simple as it gets. No multi-junction extensions to ensure are fitted together properly, no barrel clamps or braces to change point of impact with slugs, just a straight tube to cleanly feed shells into the action. Also simplifies field stripping and cleaning.

2) Increased durability over extensions. I have read of extended mag tubes, especially those without a brace, breaking off at the threads. One alarming report regarded a police officer who responded to a bank robbery. He grabbed his 870 out of his cruiser, smacked the extension in the process, and his magazine tube came apart spraying shells everywhere. Not good. Also almost the entire magazine tube is protected from dents that can impede feeding vs the much greater exposed surface area of an extension.

3) Maneuverability is enhanced. For me, the difference in a stock tube vs an extended tube is dramatic when transitioning from targets and when holding up the shotgun for extended periods of time. A person may need to hold the shotgun unsupported on a door or live subject for quite a while. The standard 4 round tube keeps the balance of the gun between the hands, reducing fatigue. Those extensions put weight at the worst possible point on the gun, the end of the barrel.

4) One handed operation and reloading. Tying in with maneuverability benefits, ditching the extension can make it easier to manipulate objects such as cell phones or medical supplies with the off hand while still holding the gun with the strong hand. It also better allows the gun to be trained downrange during reloading from a sidesaddle or magazine pouch.

In the end, it doesn't matter how big and strong you are, the standard 4 shot tube makes it easier to handle the gun and you might not be the only person in the household who might need to use it at any given time. Research and past experience tell us the capacity is statistically more than enough for the vast majority of defensive scenarios. A backup gun, often in the form of a pistol or revolver, is always a good idea no matter what you weapon's magazine capacity. Also learning to reload from a sidesaddle or other on-gun ammunition storage system is very important. Keeping the gun topped off is a great skill with the tube-fed shotgun, no matter how many shells it will accept.

So that's my reasoning for keeping my house gun extension free. Just thought I'd point out some reasons for doing this that I think are often overlooked. Try it sometime, you might really like it! :)

-Spunk Puppy
1) Ive NEVER seen an 870 malfunction because of a factory Remington extention 2 or 3.

2) Who in their right mind would use an extention without a brace?

3) A flush mounted 2/3 shot extention will make 0 difference on maneuverability when used on an 18.5/20” barrel.

4) I really don’t know what to say.

If the SHTF I want as much ammo as I can possibly have.

Chilly
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Chilly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:55 am

If one chooses to use an extension use the best you can afford. Also, consider sling attachment provisions carefully. There are sling attachments that are thin plates that are installed between barrel ring and extension nut. I strongly recommend against these, as they will cause a gap that can catch spring coils. Better versions have sling loops affixed outside of the gap, such as Wilson Combat versions.