Conversion

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
The Wiz

Conversion

Post by The Wiz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:31 am

I inherited an 1953 870 16 gauge. I had it serviced and in working order. I don't hunt. The barrel is matching. I want to convert it to a home defense gun. I can't seem to find an 18 inch barrel for that gauge on line. I don't want to cut the barrel as it is part of the history of the gun. Can anyone help me? Thanks

BobM

Re: Conversion

Post by BobM » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Keep it as is. Buy another gun for home defense.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 pm

Or keep the original barrel as-is, and buy a second barrel to cut-down for HD use. The 870 is a quick-change-barrel design. The 16ga is a fine choice for HD, you can get 12-pellet #1 buckshot loads that are effective and low-recoil, as well as Foster-style slugs for longer ranges.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:04 pm

The only 16-gauge HD-type, shorter barreled shotgun I've ever seen in my life was a very old and used SxS double gun from "way back in the day."

Given the near ubiquity of 12-ga. guns in the U.S. for HD and especially LE, I just don't think you'd find much in the way of accessories. So option a) get a 20-gauge or a 12-gauge already set up for HD ["do as I say not as I do..." :oops: I actually keep modifying my Rem. 870 Express for the purpose, but if I had to do over... Well... ;) }. Or, as Synchronizor put it, get a spare barrel and have it customized and optimized for HD, while retaining the original barrel that came with the shotgun. I tend to favor that approach, frankly. Interesting thread on the 16-ga.
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:54 pm

16ga 870s are built on the same receiver size as the 12s, so a lot of 12ga parts & add-ons should fit the 16ga as well. I've never really felt like a HD shotgun needed a lot of junk hanging on it, but you should be able to get it fitted with some useful items like a shell carrier or a light without much trouble.