Sidesaddle Advice with Shurshot Fore-end

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Goodgun
Experienced Shotgunner

Sidesaddle Advice with Shurshot Fore-end

Post by Goodgun » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 am

Hello..I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum. I am currently running with the Shurshot stock and fore-end. I was wondering if there is any sidesaddle I could possibly mount on the receiver? Even if it's only a 4 banger. I was warned that not many sidesaddle's are compatible with this set-up? Any advice would be appreciated?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Sidesaddle Advice with Shurshot Fore-end

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 pm

Generally, 4-round sidesaddles are engineered to work with long fore-ends. You could always contact the manufacturer if there's a specific sidesaddle you're looking at.

DaveC
Addict Shotgunner

Post by DaveC » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:15 pm

I prefer the four shot side-saddle to the six, actually. That's what I have.

On my S&W/Howa 3000 ex-Pontiac, MI police cruiser from the age of feathered hairdos and cheesy moustaches, I've got the excellent velcro-on S&J hardware version. Excellent accessory, IMHO. It obviates the risk that the screw through the receiver in lieu of the pin can get overtorqued and cause binding and jams from being too tight.

On my Rem 870 Express, I've just got the plain "Tac-Star" four shot version. And while I hew to the "case heads down" school instead of the "case heads up" faction, the fact is that if one acquires 2-1/4" "mini-shells" from Nobel Sport, Italy you can have both: eight mini-shells, half case head down, and a further four case head up.

Good luck with the selection!
Alle Kunst ist umsonst, wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Goodgun
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Goodgun » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Thanks for the he advice and i must agree Dave, I don't really like the thought of putting screws in my receiver..

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:22 pm

To be fair, you're not putting screws in your receiver, the screws replace the trigger plate pins and pass through the existing holes. No permanent modifications to your receiver. Also, I really don't think anyone needs to worry about binding their action by over-tightening. Maybe with some other aluminum-framed shotguns, but the 870's receiver is all-steel, and the trigger plate has steel bushings that reinforce it at the trigger plate pin holes. I can speak from experience that the cheap aluminum threads in the TacStar's baseplate will tear out long before the 870's function is affected.

That said, having screws through the receiver is kind of a pain when it comes time to take the gun apart for cleaning.