A few noob questions

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
vyadha
New Shotgunner

A few noob questions

Post by vyadha » Tue May 09, 2017 2:08 am

Hi all
6 months ago I purchased a tactical express with a Knoxx BlackOps Second Gen pistol grip for a steal when my buddy was an idiot and picked up a felony.

Yesterday I finished my 2nd class with it. I decided I hate the pistol grip so Im getting rid of it and looking for something else.
Im also upgrading the forend to a Hogue.

The main thing though is that it really does not like Winchester Universal. It just wont extract properly. Will upgrading the extractor make that big of a difference?

I feel like this sort of firearm should run pretty much ammo, Ive had 4 out of 200 rounds get stuck in the chamber and numerous stovepipes.

Thanks all

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: A few noob questions

Post by Synchronizor » Thu May 11, 2017 7:23 am

If the shell is sticking in the chamber and making the action difficult to open, but still comes out of the chamber when you do manage to yank the bolt back, then obviously the extractor is doing its job. If the action opens, but the hull remains in the chamber, then you might be looking at an extractor-related issue (though the problem may not be with the extractor itself).

Ammunition is a key functional component of any firearm - just as important as the firing pin or trigger. Bad ammo can make for an unreliable gun, no matter what gun you're talking about. Winchester Universal shotshells are pretty notorious for being low-quality and unreliable. I've seen them choke a Mossberg as well as 870s, and you can find plenty of stories of other shotgun makes having trouble with them. I've dissected the hulls, and found the steel cups to be very thin & soft; prone to detaching and/or swelling after firing.

A clean chamber that's been thoroughly broken-in tends to be more tolerant of really cheap shotshells than a new and/or dirty chamber. So that's something to look at. But what you describe sounds pretty much like the same issues that others - myself included - have had with the Universals. Your best bet would probably be to just switch brands. The bulk-pack Federal target shells are priced about the same as the cheap Winchesters, and they have a much better reputation for reliability. They're my go-to when I need some cheap factory shells for reviews and such. The Remington Gun Clubs are a little more spendy, but they work well, and the hulls are much better than the Federals for reloading.

BlackWhiteGrey
Shotgunner

Post by BlackWhiteGrey » Fri May 12, 2017 10:46 pm

I'll second Synchronizor on the ammo related side and add something about stocks.

I also started off with a pistol grip stock and after some serious use found that while I like it ergonomically it just didn't suit me for the kinds of manipulations I have to make with a shotgun.

Since you mentioned the Hogue forend, have you considered their stock too? Mainly their 12" LOP stock?
https://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Remington- ... B0028LVM1K

I switched to this from a speedfeed pistol grip 13" LOP stock and I haven't looked back. It's allowed me to more comfortably keep a shotgun at the the ready without fatigue. Seen here pictured above a stock Remington 870p

vyadha
New Shotgunner

Post by vyadha » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks all
The hogue 12" stock is too small for me. I have a 12 3/4 one on there now that a friend customized for me. Its so much nicer with a standard stock. Ive been able to go through 300 rounds at the last few training sessions.