S&J detachable shell saddle review

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Holmes375
Enthusiast Shotgunner

S&J detachable shell saddle review

Post by Holmes375 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Greetings all. I've been using this shell saddle for some time now and thought I'd share my experience and opinion of the accessory.

First up I admit to not being a fan of rigid shell saddles. I find them cumbersome as I don't always want to use a saddle when just out shooting for fun. I decided to try the S&J saddle out last year and acquired one through the U.S. distributor via eBay.

The quality looked good out of the package and the install was simple. Clean the surface of the receiver with alcohol, remove the paper backing from the self adhesive fuzzy half of the saddle and position it appropriately. Prior to install verify clearance of your forend in its most rearward position to avoid any interference with the saddle. I also punched a hole in the fuzzy panel before installing to allow removal of the receiver pin. Press the adhesive portion into place aggressively. I like to roll it out with a towel-wrapped dowel to make sure I have no air pockets and the entire surface achieves good contact.

Stick the saddle on its base panel and you're all set. The flex loops of the new saddle are very tight at first yet release the shells easily. They yield a bit with use but I still find it easier to re-load the saddle by ripping it off, stuff it full and slap it back on. After several months of use the loops have maintained excellent retention of the shells.

In the field the saddle works as it should. I load with my off hand over the top of the receiver and the S&J saddle has never come loose or interfered with my loading process. My dexterity is still the limiting factor in my personal efficacy ;)

I have one niggle with the saddle but its easily addressed. The corners of the detachable saddle are very squarely pointed and somewhat sharp out of the package. I noticed some snagging in clothing and moving through heavy brush. I trimmed a mild radius on the corners with a razor knife and then melted them with a heated scraper blade. Definite improvement in the field.

All in all I'm very pleased with the S&J saddle and its minimal impact upon the shotgun when not being used. Nice and light with little physical intrusion. I'd but it again and I intend to add a few more to have on hand. This kind of saddle has some tactical advantages when used in conjunction with my SOE MicroRig.

Here's some pictures for your consideration:

Vitaly
Owner

Re: S&J detachable shell saddle review

Post by Vitaly » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:21 pm

Thank you for review!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Post by Chief Brody » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:50 pm

I've had one for a few years on my 870P, and it's held up very well. There are shells in it 24/7, and it gets a workout a few times a year during competitions. The shell loops are still perfectly snug. I like what you did with the corners, might have to try that.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Holmes375
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Holmes375 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:02 am

Most welcome, Vitaly.

And thank you, Chief Brody, for the longevity/durability report. Very good to know.

Jamie
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jamie » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:11 am

I have one mounted on my 870 for about a year. The adhesive started to come off, no way it was going to stay with the holder pulled off too many times. A couple of dabs of epoxy fastened it permanently. I attended a shot gun class, the instructor wanted to inspect it, had seen a few come off. Ripped the holder off and on a few times, seemed satisfied with my fix. It's been great.

BlueSmoke
Shotgunner

Post by BlueSmoke » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:22 am

Thanks for the honest unsolicited review of our products.

I have much favored the detachable side saddle method.

Easy to switch ammo types and even easier to reload extra shells on your shotgun.

Y'all can email me at scott@sjhardware.us should you have any questions.

Our direct sale website is http://www.sjhardware.us

BlueSmoke
Shotgunner

Post by BlueSmoke » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:25 am

One more thing....

Nice shotgun rig you have there...

Does it have a CeraKote finish to match the MagPul stock?

Holmes375
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Holmes375 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:43 am

BlueSmoke wrote:One more thing....

Nice shotgun rig you have there...

Does it have a CeraKote finish to match the MagPul stock?
Thank you kindly. Duracoat actually. Not as sound as Cerakote but I've been using it for years now and it does a pretty good job when applied properly.

As an aside, I have one of your followers coming to replace the SS version I'm currently using. Looking forward to that.

And, when I originally put this shotgun together, I tried every over-sized safety button on the market. No joy for one reason or another. Finally tried one of yours and we've lived happily ever after.

A tip o' the hat to you and your products.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:48 am

Looks nice, the rounded corners is a nice touch. I've been thinking of trying out a velcro sidesaddle setup, since they have the advantage of letting you slap on another full shell carrier once the one on the gun is empty. Not too keen on permanently attaching velcro to my receiver though. I'll probably rig up some kind of removable baseplate that I can take off for hunting or range shooting.

By the way Holmes375, what's the purpose of the screw going through your rear trigger plate pin hole? Is it holding something on on the other side of the receiver?

Holmes375
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by Holmes375 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Synchronizor wrote:....By the way Holmes375, what's the purpose of the screw going through your rear trigger plate pin hole? Is it holding something on on the other side of the receiver?
Nope, just anti-walk trigger pins. I believe they are Mesa Tactical manufacture.