Chrome Bolt worth it?

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
jough
Shotgunner

Chrome Bolt worth it?

Post by jough » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:36 pm

As in the previous thread, I have Rem 870 #24449.
It comes with a Parkerized bolt.

I found a Wingmaster chromed bolt (used but great condition) for $30 shipped.

Is that a good deal? Is it a worthwhile upgrade?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Chrome Bolt worth it?

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:12 am

jough wrote:Is that a good deal?
That depends on whether it's an old- or new-style bolt. If it's a new-style, it's a pretty good price. If it's an old-style, it's about average.
jough wrote:Is it a worthwhile upgrade?
If it's an old-style bolt, it's not an upgrade. It'll function in your gun, but if you get a shell hung up between your carrier and slide assembly, an old-style bolt will make it harder to clear the jam because it isn't recessed on the bottom.

If it's a new-style bolt, it's a minor, mostly aesthetic upgrade at best. I have a chromed bolt in my 870 primarily because I like the way it looks better than my other bolt with a black oxide finish (plus, I found it for just about $20). It also seems to slide a little smoother and clean up a little easier, but those are very minor differences that may just be in my head, and they really don't change anything about how the gun functions. All standard 870 bolts are designed and built exactly the same apart from the finish, and a chrome bolt won't make the gun work any better than a Parkerized one.

jough
Shotgunner

Post by jough » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:51 am

Thanks for the very good pictures. The one I'm looking at appears to be an old style.
Also, it does not have any MIM parts. When did Remington make the change?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:02 pm

jough wrote:Also, it does not have any MIM parts. When did Remington make the change?
I think the only MIM part Remington uses in the breech bolt assembly is the extractor. I'm not sure exactly when Remington started using MIM extractors, but unless something's changed recently, your Police bolt should have a machined extractor anyway. Really nothing wrong with the MIM extractors, but some folks just have an easier time trusting the more expensive part.

Passport

Post by Passport » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:45 am

870's run way better with a slick chrome bolt. Worth every cent

UltimateGuns
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by UltimateGuns » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:14 am

I've never had a chrome bolt in any of my 870s. But hard chrome and nickel boron bolts both work great in ARs, so why not give it a shot? If you don't like it, you can always sell it.

Banshee
Guru Shotgunner

Post by Banshee » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Synchronizor hit the nail on the head
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.