Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
68strat
Shotgunner
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 am

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by 68strat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:50 pm

the remington country usa website did not have a trigger group with a chrome shell lifter.

fortunately i was able to call their parts dept and they had a metal blued remington police trigger group with a chrome shell lifter. I am happy about that.

the other thing i want as i mentioned before is a side saddle for shells. I am debating about not putting anything on the side of the receiver and getting one that would wrap around the buttstock. I am torn on this because I want the gun for tactical use and training and i know the side mounted shell carriers are the best way to go...but I also like being able to wrap my hand around the gun and carry it...and i wouldn't want to hide that beautiful blued receiver.

Any ideas on a buttstock shell carrier that is of good quality and might sort of blend in with the look I am going for?

Thanks!

68strat
Shotgunner
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 am

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by 68strat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:31 pm

Synchronizor wrote:This is probably what you're looking for, part #F22860.

The flex-tab is a design improvement Remington made to 12ga 870s in the mid-1980s. It involved updates to the breech bolt, slide assembly, and shell carrier that worked together to keep a specific type of feed jam from locking up the gun's action. More information here. If you're buying new parts, they'll all be the new-style flex-tab versions, so you'll be good to go.

I like that bolt, just to be clear that is the good bolt right? as in no MIM parts, machined extractor etc?

Thanks!

68strat
Shotgunner
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 am

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by 68strat » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:45 am

Ok, getting the last few parts. I need help on one thing...

The 2 shot mag extension and the barrel clamp. I hear they don't make an extension or clamp that will match my bluing...but I would like to get as close as possible. Can anyone link me a suggestion?

Here are the parts I have so far:

Receiver - 870 Police Magnum - blued
18.5 barrel - Blued (to match the receiver)
Breech Bolt Assembly, Chrome
Slide Block Flex Tab
Stock Bearing Plate
Blued Trigger assembly with Chromed shell lifter

Things left to get:

Stock and forend - taking suggestions, would like an old school riot police look (wood)
Magazine tube follower and spring (any suggestions?)

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for all your help!

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:00 am

68strat wrote:the other thing i want as i mentioned before is a side saddle for shells. I am debating about not putting anything on the side of the receiver and getting one that would wrap around the buttstock. I am torn on this because I want the gun for tactical use and training and i know the side mounted shell carriers are the best way to go...but I also like being able to wrap my hand around the gun and carry it...and i wouldn't want to hide that beautiful blued receiver.

Any ideas on a buttstock shell carrier that is of good quality and might sort of blend in with the look I am going for?
There are a number of options for buttstock carriers - simple fabric slip-on or Velcro ones, or rigid carriers that screw into the stock. They'll all do the job, but neither really sounds like it would look at home on a classic riot gun, honestly.

If you're not married to the idea of wood furniture, you could consider one of the SpeedFeed stocks that can carry four extra rounds in two spring-loaded storage tubes. These are more streamlined than other shell carriers, and come factory-installed on some Police 870s.

Image

Or, you could just not have any shell carrier at all. We've had members here who started training courses with sidesaddles on their 870s, and by the time they were done, the sidesaddle had been removed. Carrying extra shells on the gun isn't for everyone or every situation, and there are advantages to keeping a HD shotgun simple, streamlined, and lightweight. Realistically, you're probably not going to need more than a single magazine's worth of shells in a HD encounter, a shotgun is not a spray-and-pray weapon. I've used sidesaddles before, but I've gradually come to appreciate the advantages of simplicity, and now, the only accessory my 870 usually wears for HD is a magazine extension.
18_5me_plus1.JPG
18.5" barrel, WC +1 magazine extension
18_5me_plus1.JPG (21.21 KiB) Viewed 2764 times
If you do want to have extra shells on-hand though, there are other ways. One is to keep an ammo belt near where you store your shotgun, something with a clip buckle that's fast and easy to throw on no matter what you're wearing (or not wearing, as the case may be...). Not only will this let you keep shells on hand without weighing your gun down, you can also use it to carry other HD implements like a handgun, a phone, or a flashlight.
68strat wrote:I like that bolt, just to be clear that is the good bolt right? as in no MIM parts, machined extractor etc?
All 870 bolts are "good" bolts. Aside from finishes, the only thing that really differentiates current-production breech bolt assemblies is whether the extractor is a MIM part or a machined part, and even that's not that big a deal. Remington's MIM process is very good, and the MIM extractors work just as well as the older machined ones, in addition to being less expensive and more consistent.

I can tell you the bolt in the picture on Remington's website has a machined extractor, but the one you get might have a MIM extractor, since Remington is now putting those in most 870s. If that's the case and it really bugs you, you can order a machined extractor separately and it'll drop right in. Again, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it, but if the extra $15.45 lets you sleep better at night, go for it.
68strat wrote:The 2 shot mag extension and the barrel clamp. I hear they don't make an extension or clamp that will match my bluing...but I would like to get as close as possible. Can anyone link me a suggestion?
Like I said earlier, Remington does offer their factory extensions with Wingmaster-style polished bluing. You can order the kit from them directly, but you can usually find them quite a bit cheaper if you shop around.
68strat wrote:Here are the parts I have so far:

Receiver - 870 Police Magnum - blued
18.5 barrel - Blued (to match the receiver)
Breech Bolt Assembly, Chrome
Slide Block Flex Tab
Stock Bearing Plate
Blued Trigger assembly with Chromed shell lifter

Things left to get:

Stock and forend - taking suggestions, would like an old school riot police look (wood)
Magazine tube follower and spring (any suggestions?)

Am I missing anything?
You'll also need a fore-end tube assembly and a fore-end tube nut, and the front and rear trigger plate pins to install your TPA. If your receiver doesn't come with a receiver stud, you'll need one of those, and the stock bolt & washers if they aren't included with your stock. If your TPA comes with a light sporting sear spring, you might want to swap that out for a heavier spring for HD duty.

A magazine spring will be included in your extension kit. For the follower, I recommend just getting a normal factory follower. They're inexpensive, lightweight, high-visibility, and work very well with factory extension kits. If you bought a complete 870P, it would have come with one of these.

68strat
Shotgunner
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 am

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by 68strat » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
68strat wrote:the other thing i want as i mentioned before is a side saddle for shells. I am debating about not putting anything on the side of the receiver and getting one that would wrap around the buttstock. I am torn on this because I want the gun for tactical use and training and i know the side mounted shell carriers are the best way to go...but I also like being able to wrap my hand around the gun and carry it...and i wouldn't want to hide that beautiful blued receiver.

Any ideas on a buttstock shell carrier that is of good quality and might sort of blend in with the look I am going for?
There are a number of options for buttstock carriers - simple fabric slip-on or Velcro ones, or rigid carriers that screw into the stock. They'll all do the job, but neither really sounds like it would look at home on a classic riot gun, honestly.

If you're not married to the idea of wood furniture, you could consider one of the SpeedFeed stocks that can carry four extra rounds in two spring-loaded storage tubes. These are more streamlined than other shell carriers, and come factory-installed on some Police 870s.

Image

Or, you could just not have any shell carrier at all. We've had members here who started training courses with sidesaddles on their 870s, and by the time they were done, the sidesaddle had been removed. Carrying extra shells on the gun isn't for everyone or every situation, and there are advantages to keeping a HD shotgun simple, streamlined, and lightweight. Realistically, you're probably not going to need more than a single magazine's worth of shells in a HD encounter, a shotgun is not a spray-and-pray weapon. I've used sidesaddles before, but I've gradually come to appreciate the advantages of simplicity, and now, the only accessory my 870 usually wears for HD is a magazine extension.
18_5me_plus1.JPG
If you do want to have extra shells on-hand though, there are other ways. One is to keep an ammo belt near where you store your shotgun, something with a clip buckle that's fast and easy to throw on no matter what you're wearing (or not wearing, as the case may be...). Not only will this let you keep shells on hand without weighing your gun down, you can also use it to carry other HD implements like a handgun, a phone, or a flashlight.
68strat wrote:I like that bolt, just to be clear that is the good bolt right? as in no MIM parts, machined extractor etc?
All 870 bolts are "good" bolts. Aside from finishes, the only thing that really differentiates current-production breech bolt assemblies is whether the extractor is a MIM part or a machined part, and even that's not that big a deal. Remington's MIM process is very good, and the MIM extractors work just as well as the older machined ones, in addition to being less expensive and more consistent.

I can tell you the bolt in the picture on Remington's website has a machined extractor, but the one you get might have a MIM extractor, since Remington is now putting those in most 870s. If that's the case and it really bugs you, you can order a machined extractor separately and it'll drop right in. Again, you shouldn't have to worry too much about it, but if the extra $15.45 lets you sleep better at night, go for it.
68strat wrote:The 2 shot mag extension and the barrel clamp. I hear they don't make an extension or clamp that will match my bluing...but I would like to get as close as possible. Can anyone link me a suggestion?
Like I said earlier, Remington does offer their factory extensions with Wingmaster-style polished bluing. You can order the kit from them directly, but you can usually find them quite a bit cheaper if you shop around.
68strat wrote:Here are the parts I have so far:

Receiver - 870 Police Magnum - blued
18.5 barrel - Blued (to match the receiver)
Breech Bolt Assembly, Chrome
Slide Block Flex Tab
Stock Bearing Plate
Blued Trigger assembly with Chromed shell lifter

Things left to get:

Stock and forend - taking suggestions, would like an old school riot police look (wood)
Magazine tube follower and spring (any suggestions?)

Am I missing anything?
You'll also need a fore-end tube assembly and a fore-end tube nut, and the front and rear trigger plate pins to install your TPA. If your receiver doesn't come with a receiver stud, you'll need one of those, and the stock bolt & washers if they aren't included with your stock. If your TPA comes with a light sporting sear spring, you might want to swap that out for a heavier spring for HD duty.

A magazine spring will be included in your extension kit. For the follower, I recommend just getting a normal factory follower. They're inexpensive, lightweight, high-visibility, and work very well with factory extension kits. If you bought a complete 870P, it would have come with one of these.

Thanks for taking the time to give me all this great info!

I like the speed feed stock option but I want to keep the look classic so i will probably go with wood and no side saddle. Like you said, I can carry extra shells on a belt or something. I may get a speed feed setup and switch it out sometime in the future.

I got that mag tube extension kit you linked for me...thanks! it looks like it comes with the spring and barrel clamp as well which is nice. Now i just need to purchase a follower.

I already ordered a trigger group ... i kinda thought the 2 pins would be included with that, maybe I am wrong.

Thanks again!

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:40 pm

I don't think the pins come with the trigger plate assembly. At least, there're clearly no pins in place in any of the TPA pictures on Remington's site.

68strat
Shotgunner
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 am

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by 68strat » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:49 pm

Synchronizor wrote:I don't think the pins come with the trigger plate assembly. At least, there're clearly no pins in place in any of the TPA pictures on Remington's site.
in that case, maybe i should get this set LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Punisher-Reming ... 1036406237

awesome!

User avatar
Banshee
Senior Shotgunner
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 pm
Location: Lost State of Franklin

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by Banshee » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:57 pm

68strat wrote:
Synchronizor wrote:I don't think the pins come with the trigger plate assembly. At least, there're clearly no pins in place in any of the TPA pictures on Remington's site.
in that case, maybe i should get this set LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Punisher-Reming ... 1036406237

awesome!
Na, I would go with the SS Deadhead set.
The devil danced as he went down, in the hail of arrows comin' Out on the wild Montana ground, Custer died a-runnin'.

User avatar
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:04 am
Location: The Inland Northwest
Contact:

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:45 am

68strat wrote:in that case, maybe i should get this set LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Punisher-Reming ... 1036406237

awesome!
Yeah, that's exactly the finishing touch for a classic chrome, blue, & walnut 870; like putting low-profiles on a '57 Corvette C1...

68strat
Shotgunner
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 am

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by 68strat » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:04 am

Synchronizor wrote:
68strat wrote:in that case, maybe i should get this set LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Punisher-Reming ... 1036406237

awesome!
Yeah, that's exactly the finishing touch for a classic chrome, blue, & walnut 870; like putting low-profiles on a '57 Corvette C1...
I sense...

sarcasm

lol

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest