Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
68strat
Shotgunner

Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by 68strat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:14 am

Hi all,

I just got a brand new beautiful 870 police magnum receiver from gun broker.

The reason i want to build my own is because i can't find the blued stuff anymore...everything is parkerized these days. anyway...my concern is finding a barrel and mag extension tube that match the bluing on my receiver.

any thoughts on how to go about getting good matching parts? I want to put on an 18" barrel with a simple bead front sight and have a barrel length magazine extension tube as well.

I have not decided on the furniture...im torn between wood or black polymer...any thoughts on this?

also, what other parts do i need and where can i get them? off the top of my head i need:

Trigger group and pins
bolt assembly
shell lifter
pump rails (not sure what you call them)

For the bolt I want polished not black...the shell lifter can be black or polished. Just want everything to match, and I would like to buy new parts. Where can I find these parts new?

When I was a kid I LOVED my 870 wingmaster built in 1970...it was so smooth, the action was awesome. I want to re-create that in a HD gun but want new (not used) parts.

Thanks for the help!

68strat
Shotgunner

Re: Building a new HD shotgun, got my receiver but need help

Post by 68strat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:21 am

ill reply to my own topic with another question lol

I found a 18" barrel on gun broker, its not parkerized but it says "matte blued" is that going to match my receiver? my 870 police receiver seems more glossy blued.

I wish i knew all the terms lol

thanks!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:00 am

You can order all of these parts directly from Remington if you don't mind paying for new stuff. You can download the latest parts price list here, and access their online store here. If you want something on the parts list that isn't in the online store, you can place an order over the phone. You may be able to find some of these parts for less money on 3rd-party websites, but I'd still recommend using the official resources to build your list before you shop around.

Remington offers their +2 magazine extension with a polished blue finish (note that polished Wingmaster bluing is different from the Express matte bluing). Don't forget to order a magazine follower too, I don't think the extension kits include one. To go with that extension, I'd recommend an 18.5" barrel instead of an 18" barrel if you want the extension to line up with the muzzle. Remington makes a blued 18.5" barrel with a front bead sight and a fixed IC choke that would work very well for an old-school riot-style build.

If you want the polished bolt look, you have the option of chromed or nickel-plated breech bolt assemblies. The chrome is going to be more highly-polished, while the nickel will have a warmer color and a more matte texture.

For the furniture, pick whatever you like, polymer and wood both do a good job. If you're going with Wingmaster-style bluing and a chrome or nickel bolt though, I'd say go for the classic walnut. Modern Police wood furniture is rather plain; you could spruce a Police set up with some checkering, stain, and/or gloss, or just get a set of more nicely-finished Wingmaster furniture. If you do get wood, make sure you also pick up a stock bearing plate.

The shell carrier is simply part of trigger plate assembly. For trigger plate assemblies, you have a choice of polymer, matte-finished powdered aluminum, or gloss-finished powdered aluminum, and different finish combinations for the trigger (black, nickel-plated, or gold) and shell carrier (blued or nickel-plated). They all pretty much work the same, so pick whatever looks best to you. If you can't find the exact combination you want, you can order trigger & carrier assemblies separately and drop them into any standard trigger plate assembly without any specialized tools.

For the trigger plate pins and fore-end tube assembly, just get the standard parts used in all Parkerized or matte/polished blued 870s. Make sure the fore-end tube assembly is a standard one, not the Super Magnum version.

If you have more questions, we'd be happy to help. Hopefully you'll post some pictures of the project as it progresses.

68strat
Shotgunner

Post by 68strat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:27 am

Synchronizor wrote:You can order all of these parts directly from Remington if you don't mind paying for new stuff. You can download the latest parts price list here, and access their online store here. If you want something on the parts list that isn't in the online store, you can place an order over the phone. You may be able to find some of these parts for less money on 3rd-party websites, but I'd still recommend using the official resources to build your list before you shop around.

Remington offers their +2 magazine extension with a polished blue finish (note that polished Wingmaster bluing is different from the Express matte bluing). Don't forget to order a magazine follower too, I don't think the extension kits include one. To go with that extension, I'd recommend an 18.5" barrel instead of an 18" barrel if you want the extension to line up with the muzzle. Remington makes a blued 18.5" barrel with a front bead sight and a fixed IC choke that would work very well for an old-school riot-style build.

If you want the polished bolt look, you have the option of chromed or nickel-plated breech bolt assemblies. The chrome is going to be more highly-polished, while the nickel will have a warmer color and a more matte texture.

For the furniture, pick whatever you like, polymer and wood both do a good job. If you're going with Wingmaster-style bluing and a chrome or nickel bolt though, I'd say go for the classic walnut. Modern Police wood furniture is rather plain; you could spruce a Police set up with some checkering, stain, and/or gloss, or just get a set of more nicely-finished Wingmaster furniture. If you do get wood, make sure you also pick up a stock bearing plate.

The shell carrier is simply part of trigger plate assembly. For trigger plate assemblies, you have a choice of polymer, matte-finished powdered aluminum, or gloss-finished powdered aluminum, and different finish combinations for the trigger (black, nickel-plated, or gold) and shell carrier (blued or nickel-plated). They all pretty much work the same, so pick whatever looks best to you. If you can't find the exact combination you want, you can order trigger & carrier assemblies separately and drop them into any standard trigger plate assembly without any specialized tools.

For the trigger plate pins and fore-end tube assembly, just get the standard parts used in all Parkerized or matte/polished blued 870s. Make sure the fore-end tube assembly is a standard one, not the Super Magnum version.

If you have more questions, we'd be happy to help. Hopefully you'll post some pictures of the project as it progresses.
Thank you for your help!

I ordered this barrel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/216389 ... sight-blue

looks like it matches.

My receiver is a Police Magnum which I think is the same quality as the old wingmasters.

Thanks for the help and i will post pictures!

The hardest part for me is deciding between wood or polymer. also, I will want a 6 shell side saddle...do i need to get the receiver tapped for something like that? what quality options are there for that?

thanks again!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:41 am

Yeah, that's the barrel I was referring to.

870 receivers are all manufactured from the same materials, using the same methods, and are held to the same quality standards. The only major difference is the finish.

Most sidesaddles install through the trigger plate pin holes, replacing the original trigger plate pins. Some fabric ones attach with stick-on velcro. Either way, no modifications are necessary. If you want to go high-end, you'll probably end up with a Mesa Tactical sidesaddle, which is made from aluminum. It has a matte finish; if that bugs you, maybe you can polish it up and re-paint it with something glossy. You have a choice there of 4-, 6-, and 8-shell versions. The 6-shot ones will require a shorter fore-end, so keep that in mind as you look for furniture.

68strat
Shotgunner

Post by 68strat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:47 am

Synchronizor wrote:Yeah, that's the barrel I was referring to.

870 receivers are all manufactured from the same materials, using the same methods, and are held to the same quality standards. The only major difference is the finish.

Most sidesaddles install through the trigger plate pin holes, replacing the original trigger plate pins. Some fabric ones attach with stick-on velcro. Either way, no modifications are necessary. If you want to go high-end, you'll probably end up with a Mesa Tactical sidesaddle, which is made from aluminum. It has a matte finish; if that bugs you, maybe you can polish it up and re-paint it with something glossy. You have a choice there of 4-, 6-, and 8-shell versions. The 6-shot ones will require a shorter fore-end, so keep that in mind as you look for furniture.
Thanks!

I will want the shiny chrome bolt, i could not seem to find it...i found one that said chrome but it looked flat (not shiny). also i heard something about a "flex tab" or something that the bolt rides on...whats that all about and what do i need to get?

Thanks!

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:57 am

This is probably what you're looking for, part #F22860.

The flex-tab is a design improvement Remington made to 12ga 870s in the mid-1980s. It involved updates to the breech bolt, slide assembly, and shell carrier that worked together to keep a specific type of feed jam from locking up the gun's action. More information here. If you're buying new parts, they'll all be the new-style flex-tab versions, so you'll be good to go.

68strat
Shotgunner

Post by 68strat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:00 am

Synchronizor wrote:This is probably what you're looking for, part #F22860.

The flex-tab is a design improvement Remington made to 12ga 870s in the mid-1980s. It involved updates to the breech bolt, slide assembly, and shell carrier that worked together to keep a specific type of feed jam from locking up the gun's action. More information here. If you're buying new parts, they'll all be the new-style flex-tab versions, so you'll be good to go.

yep awesome!

i need to get the flex tab thing too right?

also i think i am leaning toward a wood set. I want dark reddish color to match my AK 47 lol. You know a good place to shop for stock sets? I want the old style police riot looking stuff

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:23 am

Not sure what you're referring to. The "flex tab" of the flex-tab system is built into the shell carrier, and you'll get that with your trigger plate assembly.

Here are some links to the the no-frills stock & fore-end Remington uses on Police 870s. Like I said, these are pretty plainly-finished, meant for working guns. If you want to dress them up, you can always strip, stain, and re-finish these to get the color and look you want.

Make sure you order a stock bearing plate to properly install that stock (or other wood stocks). You also might want to call in and make sure that stock comes with the stock bolt & washers. Am I correct in assuming that your receiver already has its receiver stud?

68strat
Shotgunner

Post by 68strat » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:52 pm

Synchronizor wrote:Not sure what you're referring to. The "flex tab" of the flex-tab system is built into the shell carrier, and you'll get that with your trigger plate assembly.

Here are some links to the the no-frills stock & fore-end Remington uses on Police 870s. Like I said, these are pretty plainly-finished, meant for working guns. If you want to dress them up, you can always strip, stain, and re-finish these to get the color and look you want.

Make sure you order a stock bearing plate to properly install that stock (or other wood stocks). You also might want to call in and make sure that stock comes with the stock bolt & washers. Am I correct in assuming that your receiver already has its receiver stud?
ill find out about the receiver stud today. thanks for the advice. ill have to research some options for the wood. if i do end up getting a set and having to re-stain it i wonder what that would cost and who could do it...since i am not one to do that myself lol