New work gun

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
the gman
New Shotgunner

New work gun

Post by the gman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:56 pm

New work gun I finished yesterday: Remington 870 Express Magnum upgraded with Police Magnum trigger group and bolt with a barrel chopped to 14", threaded for screw in chokes. I custom made a 1 shot magazine extension, drilled and tapped the receiver for a ghost ring adjustable sight. Stock is a Mako Group collapsible, recoil reducing, folding stock. Only things missing are the upgrade to the Surefire lamp, a big head safety, tritium XS front sight and one of XS sights CSAT glass assault tools for the front of the light. On the side saddle is 4 slugs and 2 door breaching rounds. Definitely very handy for undercover work and it shoots very well indeed. Turned out pretty nice I think..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Helps when you have an 07FFL/SOT in addition to being a cop..... :twisted:

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: New work gun

Post by Chief Brody » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:49 pm

That thing's going to kick somebody's ass haha
Very sweet build, nice job. What rear sight is that?
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:40 am

That's a nice compact setup. I'd love to hear (and see) details on that custom magazine extension.

I wonder though, why that Surefire light? With that barrel, the light is going to take the worst of it if you drop the gun muzzle-first or run it into a wall. You mentioned the CSAT Glass Assault Tool, but will that offer sufficient protection in the event of a hard drop? Seems an Eotech fore-end might have been better-suited for this build, or at least a SureFire model with a shorter lamp.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:20 pm

Very nice setup!
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

the gman
New Shotgunner

Post by the gman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:02 pm

The rear sight is a (now) out of production MMC ghost ring I've had in stock for almost a decade. Finally got around to using it..... :mrgreen:

I used the Surefire fore end because it was free from work and I had it. I tried the MagPul fore end and liked that but after using an Ergo railed fore end with a light clamped to it, the recoil smacks the light back into your hand. I don't intend dropping it as it lives on a sling which I omitted from the photo for clarity but even if I did, it was free and Surefire would likely fix it. I went to the XS Sights sponsored 'Lights, Sights and Lasers' training last year and was impressed by the GAT. I know Paul Howe from when I worked in the industry and he's invented a nice tool in the GAT. After we had an OIS where the driver was trying to get away and we couldn't open the doors nor break the glass, I carry a knife with a glass breaker on it all the time. My duty gun is going to have a GAT attached to the light too but I need to save my pennies first. A wife and a young daughter suck up most of my discretionary disposable income..... :cry: :cry:

The custom mag extension was really easy to make; take a standard Rem 870 factory mag extension, measure to end of barrel, slice off and turn on lathe so its the right length. Using a piece of round bar stock, bore a hole inside for the spring, turn the outside to a gentle slip fit inside the tube with a shoulder to stop it dropping thru then silver solder the two together. I had a few factory extensions on hand so it wasn't a drama to make.

Gave it a good dose of KG GunKote and we were off to the races..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Thanks for the kind comments; unfortunately, this is the kind of gun you build hoping you never have to use it. ;)

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:00 am

the gman wrote:The custom mag extension was really easy to make; take a standard Rem 870 factory mag extension, measure to end of barrel, slice off and turn on lathe so its the right length. Using a piece of round bar stock, bore a hole inside for the spring, turn the outside to a gentle slip fit inside the tube with a shoulder to stop it dropping thru then silver solder the two together. I had a few factory extensions on hand so it wasn't a drama to make.
I figured that's what it was.

Did you do anything to the extension tube to keep it from backing out of the coupling under recoil? You shouldn't have to worry too much about an internal gap opening up and causing loading & feeding hang-ups since it's only a +1; but during high-volume shooting, that tube could eventually work itself completely out of the extension and go flying downrange if there's nothing holding it in place.

the gman
New Shotgunner

Post by the gman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:33 pm

Synchronizor wrote:
the gman wrote:The custom mag extension was really easy to make; take a standard Rem 870 factory mag extension, measure to end of barrel, slice off and turn on lathe so its the right length. Using a piece of round bar stock, bore a hole inside for the spring, turn the outside to a gentle slip fit inside the tube with a shoulder to stop it dropping thru then silver solder the two together. I had a few factory extensions on hand so it wasn't a drama to make.
I figured that's what it was.

Did you do anything to the extension tube to keep it from backing out of the coupling under recoil? You shouldn't have to worry too much about an internal gap opening up and causing loading & feeding hang-ups since it's only a +1; but during high-volume shooting, that tube could eventually work itself completely out of the extension and go flying downrange if there's nothing holding it in place.
Dab of silver solder on it keeps it together. Thanks for the advice tho and I have a buddy with a huge CNC shop so if I thought there was a market for them, all I'd need is the thread dimensions to make some up. I did find some info on the web that they were possibly 1.0 inch 12 pitch single lead square thread; any thoughts on that?

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:03 pm

You use silver solder to attach the extension tube to the coupling?

I measure the thread pitch to be 12 turns per inch on my magazine & extension tubes. You shouldn't need to bother cutting the threads if you want to produce +1 extension tubes, though. Unfinished magazine tubes are just $10.30 each, and they already come with threads machined into them. Shorten, cap, finish, and there you go.
870 mag tube (bright).JPG
870 mag tube (bright).JPG (69.1 KiB) Viewed 6036 times

Scotter260

Post by Scotter260 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:10 pm

What color GunKote did you use?

Did you do receiver, barrel, and mag tube?

Nice shotgun sir.