One shot extension

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Wayne
New Shotgunner

One shot extension

Post by Wayne » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:42 am

I'm thinking that this will preserve the balance of the shotgun better than a 2 shot extension. Furthermore, I think it would line up with my surefire forend pretty decently. Anyone got experience who would care to share their observations, experience, and opinions? Thank you

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: One shot extension

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:03 pm

I really like a +1 extension for a no-nonsense 5+1 riot build. Since a +1 is more or less a long magazine cap, it's simpler and better balanced than most larger extensions. Check out this thread for more information and discussion, including some details on how an 870's weight and balances changes with different magazine configurations.

Wayne
New Shotgunner

Post by Wayne » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:30 pm

WOW. Thank you so much for the helpful information! I'll check out your YouTube channel as well. Thank you again. VERY helpful

shootall
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by shootall » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:43 pm

There is a difference in a fully loaded gun with different mag. ext. on. I hunt with a mag. ext and when hunting never pay attention to it. In reality with an extension or not as you shoot the shells you change the balance of the gun as it gets lighter . In some ways the weight helps like with a short barrel the extra weight lost due to the barrel is back with the mag. ext. Also weight tames recoil. Also you don't have to fully load the extender mag. unless you need to.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:32 am

Weight can certainly be an issue with HD, and in different ways than it would be in a hunting weapon. You may have to hold someone at gunpoint for an extended period of time until the authorities arrive, or keep your shotgun trained on a bedroom door while you're waiting to see if the gang that broke into your home is after you & your family, or just your TV. In those situations, you're definitely going to notice every extra ounce on your shotgun, especially if those ounces are out near the muzzle. Weight does help absorb recoil, but a few ounces either way won't make much of a difference in a life-or-death encounter; low-recoil ammunition is a much more effective way to take the edge off. And while you often want a shotgun to have a certain amount of inertia while hunting or clay shooting, a steady swing is not important in defensive applications.

Weight aside, another advantage with a +1 extension for an 870 is that you don't have to worry as much about feeding reliability and matching a follower to the extension. Longer extensions - especially single-piece designs - can sometimes be very picky about other aspects of a magazine configuration. But because a standard 870 magazine tube is long enough to fit five 2.75" shells and a typical follower, all the extension has to do is hold the magazine spring, so the follower hanging up at the joint is a non-issue.