Mag tube extensions

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
12GAfun
Super Shotgunner

Mag tube extensions

Post by 12GAfun » Fri May 09, 2014 4:31 am

I currently have a Remington 2+ shot mag tube extension kit, I am not liking it at all. I am looking for one the ratchets on if possible does not need a clamp and is still like 1" in diameter,due to I have a Tacstar mag tube 3 way rail mount for my flashlight. Every time I shoot the clamp screw comes loose the head is so badly worn out from trying to tighten it that I cannot get any other Phillips head screw driver to fit on it to tighten it proper. I just want to get one that works better but is still the same size in diameter as the Remington tube. If any one has any suggestions. I so far have only tried ATI there's are to wide for the mount.
Thank you for all your replies
Here is a pic of the mount I am taking about. I like the mount but not the mag tube. Writing Remington to see if there is anything they can do about it.
Attachments
SAM_0792 (Copy).JPG
SAM_0792 (Copy).JPG (180.24 KiB) Viewed 5416 times

SignessSG
Experienced Shotgunner

Re: Mag tube extensions

Post by SignessSG » Fri May 09, 2014 1:26 pm

I just ordered a Nordic Components MXT +3 mag tube extension kit. I'll let you know how it performs under recoil with their barrel clamp. The new MXT line does have a groove on the mag tube that the barrel clamp sits in. The Nordic clamp is also double wide compared to that Remington. I ordered my clamp with the single rail option. We'll see how a side mounted light works...otherwise, I may look for some sort of tri or bottom rail mag tube clamp. Not sure if your tri-rail mag tube light mount would work on the Nordic tube though. The overall diameter of the Nordic tubes is 1.06". The Nordic tube would also be a little lighter...made of aluminum. Personally, I wouldn't run an extension tube without a barrel clamp. Just added assurance that the mag tube coupler threads are protected if it's banged around. Especially true with an aluminum tube...I would never consider not running a barrel clamp. Other opinions may and will vary.
Remington 870 Police Magnum 12 Gauge
Sig Sauer P220 Carry SAS SAO .45 ACP
Sig Sauer P938 9mm
Belgian Browning HiPower 9mm
Ruger GP100 Stainless .357 Magnum 4"
Smith & Wesson Model 36 .38 Special

Reaper
Active Shotgunner

Post by Reaper » Fri May 09, 2014 5:00 pm

I have a Tac Star +2 one piece extension on my HD 870 and its made of steel. I use a tri rail mount for my light like yours and it fits and works perfectly. It also has the wratcheting base which has never loosened even after several boxes of shells at a time. Never had a problem with shells feeding either. Wilson Combat makes a nice steel +2 one piece extension that is very well made, wratcheting base, plus a wave washer for those barrels without the ball detent. Pretty cheap too, $45 plus shipping directly from Wilson Combat and that includes spring and hi-vis follower.

12GAfun
Super Shotgunner

Post by 12GAfun » Mon May 12, 2014 5:08 am

Thanks for the replies, I will look into some of those. Also Reaper, so you use a clamp on that tacstar or that wilson combat. I have to get something else getting frustrated every time I got to the range and after the first full tube I then cannot fill it back up with 6 only will allow 4-5. In need to write Remington and see if they will do something for me. The clamps screw will come loose even after lock tight has been used and the tube extension will start to loosen form the threads. This causes gaps in the threads and the spring gets stuck in those gaps.

Reaper
Active Shotgunner

Post by Reaper » Mon May 12, 2014 11:26 am

I have used the Tac-Star plastic clamp with the Tac-Star +2 mag extension with great results. No slippage, and no marring of the finish on the barrel or mag tube extension.
Attachments
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG (179.29 KiB) Viewed 5376 times

SignessSG
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by SignessSG » Mon May 12, 2014 1:36 pm

I finally took my 870P to the range for the first time yesterday. My Nordic extension and clamp functioned flawlessly. Mostly shot 2-3/4" 00 Buck. You might try just replacing your clamp. I'm really happy with the Nordic barrel clamp. I hear good things about the CDM BMT clamp as well. The threads have steel inserts on those, and it has a narrower profile than the Nordic clamp.
Sig Sauer P938 9mm

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu May 15, 2014 3:58 pm

http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

SignessSG
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by SignessSG » Thu May 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Vitaly wrote:My review of the most popular magazine extensions for Rem 870: Magazine Extensions for Remington 870 Shotgun (Nordic Components, Choate, TacStar, Remington, ATI)
Being new to the shotgun, I really like and value your reviews and blogs. Have learned tons. Your review on the extensions is what led me to choose the Nordic Components extension kit. Their barrel clamp is great too....didn't budge after about 8 full mag tubes full of 2-2/4" 00 Buck. (Ran out of shells after that, and moved on to the handguns)!
Sig Sauer P938 9mm