Question about quality of Remington 870 Police

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Question about quality of Remington 870 Police

Post by Synchronizor » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:32 am

I'd say check out any military surplus shops in your area for old gun slings, or maybe just some OD webbing that you can turn into a sling (how are your sewing skills?).

Personally though, I think the best-looking sling for a classic wood-stocked gun is something leather. I'm sure part of it is me thinking back to my parents' old his-&-hers Marlin .30-30s, but from a more practical standpoint, I haven't yet come across a synthetic sling that can duplicate the great balance of strength, abrasion resistance, grip, and comfort you get with real leather.

I recently dug through a wall of used slings at a pawn shop in the Spokane area, and found one that had some cosmetic scuffs (I wanted to match the dings and scars on my furniture), but was still strong and had no signs of verdigris around the brasswork. $5 out the door. I threw on a pair of Uncle Mike's sling swivels that came with a magazine cap I bought awhile back, and I think it looks great on the gun. Feels and carries great too, and unlike the cheap stretchy synthetic sling I used to use, this leather one is stiff enough that I should be able to use it as a shooting sling to steady the gun for longer shots with slugs. Something I'll be trying next time I hit the range.
IMG_2232_CR_01.JPG
IMG_2232_CR_01.JPG (122.07 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

Mister_Remington
Shotgunner

Post by Mister_Remington » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:23 am

That's ironic because I actually have that exact style sling here at home, but I just never thought it would look good on the 870 but seeing yours demonstrates that it does work well with the 870 that has lots of wood.

I still like the olive drab canvas set up but I'll have to think about installing my leather sling on the 870, but it's an old sling that looks like yours, and I'm not sure how it will match up with my brand new looking 870, maybe I'll order a new leather sling for the 870.

Though I still like my Mossberg 590A1 I must admit that I rarely have it by my side, I have grown very fond of my 870, it's handier, lighter (but like you stated, not light), it's more svelte if I may use that word. The feel in my hands is much better than that of the Mossberg. If I had to keep one or the other I believe I'd keep the Remington 870 but ONLY after lots of practice that proves to me I can load the thing as fast as I can load a Mossberg despite that metal flap. Aside from that I really really like this shotgun, it's a classy looking shotgun!

Thanks for posting your photo so I could see how a wood stocked 870 appears with that leather sling. :D

Mister_Remington
Shotgunner

Post by Mister_Remington » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:03 am

Just thought I'd check in, it's been a while since I've stopped by this site. I'm still happy with my Remington 870 Police shotgun, it's sitting right in front of me as I type this, what a beaut shotgun the 870 is. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I still have not shot it, there are no ranges nearby, nor wilderness, but I haven't forgotten how to shoot a shotgun, and I will enjoy the day I finally get to go shooting with my 870!

For all you new Remington 870 owners out there, hope you are as satisfied with your 870 as I am with mine! I haven't done anything to it, it's still just as it left the factory. I'm a simple sort of fellow, I like the wood furniture, and though nobody likes less ammo in a magazine, I do like the lines of the 4+1 870, and though I've mentioned adding a +1 mag extension, I don't think I will, I like this shotgun just the way it looks.

I will say this, though, I've seen an 870 with the +1 extension AND the half inch longer rifle sight barrel, and I would one day like to buy another 870 and have it set up exactly like this one in the photo I will add. This is not my shotgun, I just found this photo on the internet, I like the lines of this one too, very classic looking, though my favorite is, ironically, the bare bones most basic stripper model that I already have!! :)
Attachments
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (713.79 KiB) Viewed 2624 times