Question about quality of Remington 870 Police

Tactical, combat, military, law enforcement and home defense use of a Remington 870 shotgun.
Mac
Shotgunner

Re: Question about quality of Remington 870 Police

Post by Mac » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:54 pm

Mr. - I did not come across any Mossy's during working hours. But I have run a 590A1 with a 20'' barrel for the last couple years, and it has never failed me. A few thousand rounds through it now, and she is as slick in the action as an old Wingmaster.

Sync - I think its poor maintenance and extremely high round count. We only have 6-8 870 for a company's worth of dudes (~130-150 guys) and when they run the guys through the range, its ALOT of ammo through one gun. Years and years of this take its toll.

pump-it-up
New Shotgunner

Post by pump-it-up » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:06 pm

I have four 870's so far, and 0 mossbergs.
Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Mister_Remington
Shotgunner

Post by Mister_Remington » Fri May 16, 2014 10:10 am

I haven't been on this forum for some time now, maybe a month, maybe longer. I'm just back to report my Remington 870 Police is STILL AN AWESOME SHOTGUN. I'm afraid I must admit my feelings have changed a bit, earlier I was 50/50 on whether I like my Rem or my Mossberg 590A1 more, and it's official, I like my Rem more. I rarely see the Moss anymore, I usually have my 870 with me around the house. Maybe it's the wood, I'm a sucker for beautiful wood grain, or maybe it's the smoother action, the overall handier, lighter feel to the 870. Sure I still like my Moss, but the Rem is now my favorite of the two.

My only complaint, if I should even call it that, is that metal flap that gets in the way of loading the 870, Synch, I know you said it's like learning to drive a stick, so I practice reloading with it, but it's a bit of a speed bump. Synch, any hints on how to get faster despite that metal flap?

Overall though, I'm very happy with my Remington 870, it's just a neat little shotgun, and I don't think I'll be adding the +1 extension, I'd like an extra round but I like the small, handy, light feel of the 5 shot so I'll probably keep it this way. One day when I'm rich and stuffed with money, I'll buy a second Remington 870, as a matter of fact, I did have the high bid on a used ex-police 870 but I was finally outbid and I don't have the funds to continue bidding it up.

It is an Ohio State Police shotgun with that cool stamping on the receiver, parkerized, 7 shot, with that super cool Remington folding stock, though I'd buy a wood stock and have it in that configuration. Current bid is only $250 guys, it's on gunbroker, only 2 or 3 days left on that auction.

Anyway, me, I'm happy as can be with my five shot greenish black parkerized Remington 870 Police shotgun with walnut wood furniture! I even have it loaded with Remington shells! What a neat gun!

SignessSG
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by SignessSG » Fri May 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Picked up my 870P as a used police trade-in. Couldn't be happier with it.
Remington 870 Police Magnum 12 Gauge
Sig Sauer P220 Carry SAS SAO .45 ACP
Sig Sauer P938 9mm
Belgian Browning HiPower 9mm
Ruger GP100 Stainless .357 Magnum 4"
Smith & Wesson Model 36 .38 Special

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Mon May 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Mister_Remington wrote:My only complaint, if I should even call it that, is that metal flap that gets in the way of loading the 870, Synch, I know you said it's like learning to drive a stick, so I practice reloading with it, but it's a bit of a speed bump. Synch, any hints on how to get faster despite that metal flap?
I don't know what your reloading technique is, or exactly how the shell carrier is slowing you down, but for me at least, the key to getting faster was working out a way to insert the shells at the proper angle so that I pushed the carrier aside and inserted the shell into the magazine all in one move. Practicing at that sped up my reload times.

But, I'm sure my times are pretty slow compared to some others. If you really want to get quick, I'd suggest asking some competition shooters. A lot of popular pump and semi-auto shotguns have shell carriers like the 870's, so I'm sure you can find someone who can give you some better tips for really fast reloads.

Mister_Remington
Shotgunner

Post by Mister_Remington » Thu May 22, 2014 8:39 am

I will take that advice and learn what I can from competition shooters. My own technique is currently trial and error until I find techniques that are progressively faster. Like you explained, I'm doing something similar where I find an angle to hit the flap or gate with and in one motion, alter the angle of the shell as I continue along the process of loading.

Here are a couple of new photos I took of my Remington 870 tonight, it's an old camera, my skills leave a lot of room for improvement, and a black background was not the best color but I didn't want to use the blue or green sheet I have laying around. Anyway, enjoy the photos! I will have this here 870 for life! A wonderful shotgun, aside from the gate, I definitely have become more fond of my 870 than my Mossberg (but I still like the Mossberg). :D :D :D :D
Super nice 009.JPG
Super nice 009.JPG (214.77 KiB) Viewed 5880 times
Super nice 008.JPG
Super nice 008.JPG (268.92 KiB) Viewed 5880 times

Pigiron
Shotgunner

Post by Pigiron » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:07 pm

I have both and both are good. However, the Mossy is a Vang Comp and the 870P came blued with a bead sight. Naturally, I couldn't help myself and sent the Remington barrel to Vang Comp.

shootall
Enthusiast Shotgunner

Post by shootall » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Mister_Remington wrote:Hello, I recently bought a Mossberg 590A1, it was a choice between the Remington 870 Police and a 590A1 and the Mossberg won by a nose. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed with quality, the front sight is crooked, Mossberg sent a replacement barrel but the front sight was even more crooked. I did a little research and I read that many Mossberg owners are disappointed with quality control, a google search will verify this. I'm not bashing Mossbergs, I'm just telling you my experience.

So, I'm thinking of buying myself a Remington 870 Police, nothing special, just a standard bead sight 5 shot or 7 shot 12 gauge. So I want to ask all you 870 POLICE owners (I have no interest in the Express, I read many complaints about quality with the Express), what's your experience with quality control with the Police model? Any or many complaints?

Crooked front sights?

Defects in the metal like deep pits, gouges?

Defects with the Parkerize finish?

Any complaints?

I DO NOT want to have to send the gun back to the factory for any defects, I have had to do this with other manufacturers and frankly I'm done with incompetence.

Some of you may be aware that nobody can build anything right anymore, Ruger has crooked barrels, Smith and Wesson has crooked barrels and light strikes, Mossberg has their issues, I often read about disappointed Kahr owners, even Glock owners are griping.

I'm done with modern stuff, but so far I'm not finding any complaints with the Remington 870 POLICE, but if these too have issues I'll just buy an older Remington Wingmaster from the 60's or 70's.

Again, just in case anyone feels insulted about my mentioning quality control issues with the named manufacturers, I'm not bashing, these are all facts and I myself have plenty of new guns with defects that had to be sent back to the factory or are waiting to be sent back.

Okay, I look forward to any and all feedback about the quality or lack thereof regarding the Remington 870 Police (new manufacture or vintage).

My sincere thanks!

I have had several and not one flaw. They get smoother with use .

Mister_Remington
Shotgunner

Post by Mister_Remington » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 am

I have not been back to this forum for some time, maybe months. Just wanted to stop in again and say how glad I am I bought my Remington 870 Police! Sure it has a few minor issues but overall it's a keeper! I'll probably buy a second one day when funds permit!
Attachments
Super nice 009.JPG
Super nice 009.JPG (214.77 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
Super nice 008.JPG
Super nice 008.JPG (268.92 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
Last edited by Mister_Remington on Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mister_Remington
Shotgunner

Post by Mister_Remington » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 am

You know what, this shotgun looks nekkid without a sling, I'm going to go search this forum for that thread that has sling recommendations for these models. I think I'd like myself a quality olive drab canvas sling for the shotgun.

One thing I wanted but cannot find is an Allen shell holder in GREEN for the stock, they only make black. I like the Allen product, but I want it in military green. I've been meaning to call up the company and see if they will do a special run of their butt cuff shell holders in green.

I just got back from looking through all pages of the tactical section and looking at the accessory section, and I could not find the thread on the many choices of slings.

I am looking for an olive drab canvas sling, any recommendations for strong quality slings of that type? Thanks