Remington 870 Tips & Tricks #6: Lock, Stock, & Barrel

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Remington 870 Tips & Tricks #6: Lock, Stock, & Barrel

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:27 am

New video online. Remington 870 Tips & Tricks #6: Lock, Stock, & Barrel; featuring my alternate-universe, evil twin.
06_TN01.PNG
Click for the video.
06_TN01.PNG (407.06 KiB) Viewed 3677 times

While many aspects of responsible gun ownership focus on proper use of the gun, another key element is being able to prevent use of the gun by those who can’t be trusted with it.

In this video, I’ll be focusing on gun locks for the Remington 870. These are devices that attach to a firearm, rendering it incapable of firing. They will not prevent theft, and can certainly be defeated by a determined individual, so they’re not a replacement for a gun safe. However, they are inexpensive, portable, and generally effective in preventing easy access to a functioning firearm. There are always situations where any gun owner will need to be able to disable their firearms, and a gun safe may not always be affordable or available.

I’ll go over the capabilities and general philosophy of gun locks in firearm safety, and compare the characteristics of three different types: trigger blocks, action locks, and internal locks. I’ll show the devices I use for my 870 and other guns, and demonstrate some tricks I've come up with for increasing their effectiveness and adding safety or convenience.

Thanks to RomeoPapa for providing me with images of his ISS trigger assembly.

If you have any questions about this video, please ask. If you have some other preferred device or method for securing your firearms, please feel free to share it; I may well revisit this subject in the future. I’d also appreciate any comments on the format of this series; I’m still playing around with styles and programs, and I tried some new things in this video, so I’d love to hear feedback.

This continues my series of how-to videos with the Remington 870 shotgun. There are a number of other topics I have planned for future videos, but it’s a fluid list. I’d love to hear any suggestions you might have for video topics. If it’s something that I feel has already been thoroughly covered, I may point you elsewhere, but if it’s an interesting and feasible idea, I’ll add it to the list.