Anyone Have Pics of a +3 on an 18.5?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
DarwinsFlinch
Shotgunner

Anyone Have Pics of a +3 on an 18.5?

Post by DarwinsFlinch » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:22 am

I'm considering a +3 extension on my 18.5 but I am curious how it will look. I'll also admit that I feel just a little dirty that I might give up one extra bang strictly based on aesthetics. I'm usually a function before form guy, but for some reason this is bugging me.

:oops:
Have faith in humanity, but keep your finger close to the trigger.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: Anyone Have Pics of a +3 on an 18.5?

Post by Synchronizor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:10 am

I just so happened to have my shotgun in this configuration:
IMG_0218.JPG
18.5"/+2
IMG_0218.JPG (66.42 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
So, here's the same thing with the +2 magazine extension tube swapped out for my +3 tube (these are Remington extensions):
IMG_0214.JPG
18.5"/+3
IMG_0214.JPG (66.83 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
IMG_0217.JPG
18.5"/+3 Close-Up
IMG_0217.JPG (76.82 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
Again, I apologize for my camera's horrid depth of field.

I don't think the only issue with an extension tube being significantly longer than the barrel is asthetics. You won't be shooting up the extension until you get really extreme, but the setup won't be easy on the tube's finish. Another issue is durability. When your mag tube length is the same as (or close to) the barrel length, if you accidentally whack a door frame or piece of furniture with the gun, the much stronger barrel will take most of the hit. If your mag tube is sticking out another 2-3" or more, the same impact could bend or dent the tube, and completely disable your magazine's ability to feed shells. Obviously, unlike in these pictures, a mag tube on any kind of combat/defense build should be clamped, but the mag tube will still have this vulnerability (especially one of the less robust aluminum extensions a lot of people seem to prefer).

I believe there are several good reasons you usually only see mag tubes longer than barrels on competition guns.

DarwinsFlinch
Shotgunner

Re: Anyone Have Pics of a +3 on an 18.5?

Post by DarwinsFlinch » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks for the pics and excellent thought on the extension sticking out. I'll stick with the +2.
Have faith in humanity, but keep your finger close to the trigger.