Barrel install issue

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
KWhite

Barrel install issue

Post by KWhite » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:02 am

Hello there -

I just bought my first 870 (I came over from the also excellent Winnie 1300) and ended up getting the basic Tactical. I ordered a Rem slug barrel online - 20" smoothbore -and I just dropped it in.

An issue: the barrel is fully seated but does not 'lock' in, i.e. I can manually disengage the barrel from the receiver quite easily. This seems... problematic.

The 18.5 tactical barrel I just took off of it has a belted groove near the receiver end that seats in the receiver that the slug barrel lacks, as well as a shallower slot opposite the receiver's opening. Is this what is causing the slide-out?

Would a mag clamp out by the mag cap (safely, sturdily) rectify this?

Is there some basic Remington law/lore that I'm glossing and it's an easy fix?

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Vitaly
Owner

Re: Barrel install issue

Post by Vitaly » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:36 am

Hello KWhite, it would be really helpful if you could show us some pics.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

KWhite

Post by KWhite » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:49 am

Will do - thank you for the response, Vitaly.

KWhite

Post by KWhite » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:34 pm

What it looks like is that the barrel ring on the tactical barrel is what holds the barrel on by its tight proximity to the mag cap (extended mag). Since the slug barrel's ring is farther down the barrel, and therefore not in contact with the mag cap, then there's naught to hold the barrel into the receiver.

My guess is that a barrel/mag clamp installed flush to the mag cap is the fix. It just seems a bit... structurally extraneous for such a basic and essential function.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.
Attachments
belt groove.jpg
The barrel on the right is the tactical barrel that came with the shotgun. You can see the groove that belts it.
belt groove.jpg (87.25 KiB) Viewed 10093 times
Barrel detaches.jpg
The barrel slides from the receiver quite readily.
Barrel detaches.jpg (126.63 KiB) Viewed 10093 times
Receiver interior.jpg
This is how the barrel seats. The barrel itself is tight against the receiver, but the slot is not - it doesn't seem as if this should make any difference..
Receiver interior.jpg (81.99 KiB) Viewed 10093 times

KWhite

Post by KWhite » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:11 pm

Scotch that. I just learned this about the 870 Tactical: " Due to the location of the barrel ring on this model you can not change to other Remington Barrels as this is the only one made for this weapon."

Now I know.

Vitaly
Owner

Post by Vitaly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:53 am

KWhite wrote:Scotch that. I just learned this about the 870 Tactical: " Due to the location of the barrel ring on this model you can not change to other Remington Barrels as this is the only one made for this weapon."

Now I know.
This will be very useful for other readers as well. Will have a special post about that.
http://www.Rem870.com - Blog about the Remington 870 Shotgun

robnfl
New Shotgunner

Post by robnfl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:45 am

I'm curious which "basic tactical" you bought. I bought an express tactical with the intention of swapping out barrels. My 870 express tactical has the picatinny rail mounted to the receiver with the XS ghost ring sights. The picture that you show doesn't have the rail. Do you have an older version of the tactical? Looking at the photos on Remington's site, it looks like my barrel ring is in the same location as most of the other 870 express shotguns. Well, I might just purchase a barrel for the 870 and see if it works.

Remington 870 express tactical

Rob
AVCM USN retired
FL CWFL