New 870: upgrading forend to magpul - MLOK or not?

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Ndoc

New 870: upgrading forend to magpul - MLOK or not?

Post by Ndoc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:32 am

Hi all-

I just bought my first shotgun today- Rem 870 express tactical, with the plan of upgrading it right away. I purchased a magpul stock and planned on a forend as well, but I had no idea there were MOE ones and the new MLOK magpul forend. Which is better? If I buy the MLOK forend, can I then only mount MLOK compatible accessories? (Thinking specifically do I need to then choose the magpul MLOK AFG instead of the AFG2)

Thanks for the help !
(Also bought a side saddle and gg&g follower)

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Re: New 870: upgrading forend to magpul - MLOK or not?

Post by Synchronizor » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:36 am

I believe the M-Lok version of the Magpul fore-end is an updated replacement for the original MOE fore-end. Maybe some 3rd-party retailers are still carrying the MOE version, but it's not on Magpul's website anymore.

No real reason not to go with the M-Lok version, as far as I'm aware. With the original, you needed to add MOE rail sections for mounting accessories, and you do the same thing with the M-Lok fore-end; the rail sections just mount with a slightly different system. The difference with M-lok is that it's become an industry standard, so there are also a fair number of accessories out there (besides Magpul parts) that will direct-mount to the M-Lok slots without requiring a rail piece. Unless you have a bunch of the old MOE rail sections or direct-mount parts lying around that you want to use, I'd say go with the M-Lok. I can't think of anything the MOE does that the M-Lok won't do, plus some.