Larger safety knob

Discuss all accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 870 shotgun: stocks, forends, barrels, chokes, magazine extensions, followers, safeties, sights etc.
Jamie
Experienced Shotgunner

Larger safety knob

Post by Jamie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:26 pm

After running an all day tactical shot gun class, one thing I decided I need is a larger thumb safety. I'm running a Knoxx pistol grip, which one are most using? Wilson Combat, S&J, Vang Comp, other?

Chief Brody
Senior Shotgunner

Re: Larger safety knob

Post by Chief Brody » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:48 pm

Happy S&J user here. Had mine a few years.
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready. - T.R.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:08 pm

Is this one of the recoil-reducing Knoxx pistol grips? Because if so, the pistol grip is designed to move relative to the receiver, and some larger safety buttons may interfere with that.

Jamie
Experienced Shotgunner

Post by Jamie » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:51 pm

Yeah, it is...I'll have to look into that, thanks

Scott
New Shotgunner

Post by Scott » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:10 am

The Wilson is supposed to fit, while the Vang will not. I read that recently, so take with a grain of salt. (I use the Vang with the Magpul SGA, personally)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mercman
Active Shotgunner

Post by mercman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:34 pm

I've got four 870's in 'riot' configuration and have set them all up differently to try other products. I've mounted the S&J, Wilson, Vang Comp and Remington oversize safeties on each SG and prefer the S&J and Vang Comp safeties, although they all work. The SG that I have with me in CO has the S&J. Not a Knox stock user so can't help you there. If any of these interfere is it something that a Dremel tool might correct?
LEO (retired)
Oathkeeper
NRA Life Member
C&R 03
U.S. Navy 1972-76
M14RA Coordinator Western Region.

Synchronizor
Elite Shotgunner

Post by Synchronizor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:49 am

mercman wrote:If any of these interfere is it something that a Dremel tool might correct?
The part of the Knoxx that slides over the safety is also the part that acts as the rails to guide and control the aluminum mounting block, and the attached gun. Digging enough material out of there to let it travel fully without touching a tall safety is probably going to compromise the structure of that critical area.